Sign in with
Your question

Different readings in speedfan and core temp.

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2008 11:54:19 PM

Hi,
I often come to these forums for any questions I need answered, but usually find the answer through someone else's questions. There are posts similar to this one but it seems the problem and answer might depend on individual specs.

So, I recently built a new computer and have been thinking about overclocking the cpu. I just wanted to know what temp reading program I should use to base how hot I want my cpu to get at load temps.

I have an E6850, Zalman CNPS9700, Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus mobo, and a Cooler Master Cosmo 1000.

Load Temperature for Core Temp: 46 C
Idle Temperature for Core Temp: 34 C

Load Temperature for SpeedFan: 37 C
Idle Temperature for SpeedFan: 26 C

Thanks for any input.
Vince
August 1, 2008 1:58:30 AM

I've always been told to use Core Temp, however I've started using Real Temp recently because from what I've read it's one of the most accurate pieces of software at the moment.
a c 127 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 4:15:28 AM

^what he said. Its hard to tell since each CPU is different. For instance Speedfans older versions would take off 15c from a Q6600 Go stepping.

From what you have posted though Coretemp seems the most accurate unless you have your room running at like 23c.
Related resources
August 1, 2008 5:41:45 AM

Hmmm, maybe I'll get real temp too and kinda average out all 3 programs hehe. I do leave my house at about 70 F so that is close to about 21C-23C. Thanks guys... if anyone has some concrete suggestions that would be great but for now this will do just fine :) 
August 1, 2008 7:20:21 AM

core temp appears more accurate - i so tired of temps i do not trust any unless you stick a probe in there

with the 45nm fiasco with temps - i do not know what to trust

core temp is what i use and when check it, double check it, it seemed more accurate
a c 127 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 2:36:47 PM

^If he does leave his house at 70f then its 100% possible that Speedfan is correct. That does of course depend on his air flow and such. I wouldn't leave out the possibility unless its documented that Speedfan drops xxc from the temp on his chip like with the Q6600 G0.
August 1, 2008 3:31:03 PM

CoreTemp, RealTemp, SpeedFan, HD Monitor, any app that can or has the ability to read the core temps, all need one thing, what's called the Tjunction max.

Now each of the above programs will have a different value (95C/100C/105C). So you will get different readings. Intel does not publish what the max value is, so the software programmers will guess at what it should/might be. (only way to figure out the correct value, is to measure the temps externally for a type of calibration)

The tjmax can be adjusted in CoreTemp/RealTemp. SpeedFan you will have to offset the cores individually. HD monitor, I don't think you can adjust anything.

Its usually best to go by the Tcase temp, which is a CPU single temp that the bios would read, your MB utility app would read, and SpeedFan should be able to see the single reading as well.

I only say that because Intel does publish the Tcase max, which would be the thermal spec in which you should not exceed. I think it good enough to rely on when overclocking. Although it is niffy to see separate temps for each core. :D 
August 1, 2008 8:57:06 PM

After reading the Core 2 Duo temperature guide I think I've come to a conclusion.

It says RealTemp is the most accurate. It also said that SpeedFan gives you Tcase and core readings. I think that temp 1 in speedfan was giving me the tcase and temp 2 was the core (The core temperature reading was the same from both programs.)

I'm going to just use the core temperature readings to rely on. Its a little bit of a higher temperature anyway, so at the least I'll be on the safer side. I don't know what the Tjunction max for the cpu is so I'm just going to keep my core temps below the Tcase max.

Thanks for your help guys, if anyone has anymore input on the matter or think there is a better way for me to do this please post it :) 
!