vigliottec

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
iv got 300$ for a monitor and i want a 19" 20" 21" or 22" monitor any sugestions

i use to always go with viewsonic(with crts they were the best) but it seems like that has changes and in not sure what is good anymore any sugestions

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
i vote for 22" samsung. never had a problem with mine. as for model, try to find the one with the best deal wherever or however you shop. online? store?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
On the smaller end, 19inch for just under $200. With 3000:1 contrast ratio and 2ms response time, its specs are far higher than most much more expensive monitors. Perfect for gaming at low price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005106

On the larger end, 24inch for $340, 2ms and 4000:1 contrast ratio. It's a bit over budget, but most choices for larger monitors have lower contrast ratio and longer response time. Those are important for serious gaming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112011

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Dell lcds in general are horrible. They get stuck pixiles. Don't buy or you'll regret it. :p

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
dell monitors are the best of the best, samsungs are great as well. samsungs tend to be more vibrant though. id rather have a nice dell that can swivel, tilt, all that jazz then just turn left to right without lifting it. idk if my 2053bw can tilt or swivel, idk what they really mean.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Dell monitors are the worst of the worst. Go to any typical office using them, put on a white screen, and you'll see colored patches from that green and blue wallpaper. :na:

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Dell's are Samsung panels and I have actually had good with their Ultrasharp line. However, dagger correctly points out their colour are not the best (TN panels).

However, I see you bought one- good choice!

TheKingBoar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I'm aware of that, but anyone who can launch Firefox can use the software it comes with to make it better. I spent fifteen minutes tweaking, and everything looks more vibrant. I've never commented on how good a program's icon looked, but this monitor made me say that. I also like the power button like the PS3, although the stand is a wee bit rocky.

YourGodOnEarth

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Dell LCD's aren't even CLOSE to the worst of the worst.

For a home user who will be letting Windows shut the monitor down after idling for a while, or some who just turns it off if they need to be away from the monitor for a while, I don't think burn-in is much of a factor.

And don't be fooled by the claimed specs a particluar manufacturer might boast about for their monitor. The realworld specs are far less than claimed.

Looking for factual answers elsewhere, from reputable reviews. Then weigh those facts (lightly) against the opinions of anyone who makes outrageous blanket statements with no proof.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

For playing movies, no it doesn't. For that matter, you can play movies on a 15 inch crt. CPU, with correct codecs, decode the x264 compression, then display it. A newer gpu can take some load off cpu, but if not, it'll work too. That's it. You can drag the corners of the software player display window to adjust size to anything you want.

vigliottec;
Yes it does change things a bit. Ideally you'd want a 24" monitor (1920x1200 res) to take advantage of the 1080P HiDef playback @ 1920×1080.
You can play HD content on smaller monitors (22/20 1680/1050 res) but you get a slightly degraded version of the original image. It still looks VERY good though. If your budget is pretty firm you probably still need to look at the 20/22 widescreens.

I agree with shadowduck and YGOE that Dell is quite a bit better than average in the LCD monitor business.
I work in a typical office using 18 Dell monitors. Not one has any dead or stuck pixels.
C/Net Dell 2208WFP Editors Choice
Just in case you do have a problem Dells stuck/dead pixel policy is better than NewEggs and doing returns to either is very easy.

For stuck pixels you might even fix the problem yourself:
(1) Stuck Pixel Fix
* Turn off your monitor
* Get a damp cloth and apply light pressure to the area where the stuck pixel is
* While applying pressure, turn on the monitor
* Remove pressure and the stuck pixel could be repaired
* Repeat if unsuccessful

(2) Stuck Pixel Fix
Try using UnDead Pixel which will cycle the main RGB colors on every pixel at a very rapid rate in the hope of fixing the stuck pixel.

TheKingBoar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
You'll also need a monitor with a HDMI port, or a component to DVI converter (I'm not even sure they exist, but I'm sure they do). If you use the standard cables there's no point in hooking it up because the quality will suffer too much.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
TheKingBoar wrote :

You'll
also need a monitor with a HDMI port, or a component to DVI converter
(I'm not even sure they exist, but I'm sure they do). If you use the
standard cables there's no point in hooking it up because the quality
will suffer too much.

Just DVI will do fine. Nothing noticable.

Feel free to try. Make sure they have a cash back policy for the "screenburn." :na:

Seriously, there are far better bargain monitors that also boast far
higher specs and more reliable. Ditch the Dell, it's not worth the
headache.

TheKingBoar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

But are there component to DVI converters? I've never seen one, which is why I said go with HDMI, although that will jack up the price of the monitor. You might be better off buying a standard tv that's good and getting a video card with HDMI on it.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Seriously, a half decent computer monitor will have better image quality than any hdtv save for plasma models. DVI is fine. He's decoding and playing the video right out of the PC disk drive, not connecting it out to TV.

TheKingBoar

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

Ha! I'm an idiot and read a PS3 not a Blu Ray player. Sorry for the confusion. DVI will do you fine. I thought you were going to hook a PS3 up to it, and there's really no way to do that unless it has HDMI.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Really? Is this just in your experience with Dell monitors? Have you seen this problem on multiple Dell LCDs? Did you personally have problems with one of these monitors? I don't mean to sound like I'm quizzing you; I'm just interested in hearing more about these problems you mention and to just see the basis of your opinion (for example, I have a personal grudge against Intel because my P4 toasted).

In my (albeit somewhat limited) experience, the standard Dell monitors are perfectly adequate (average) monitors, whereas the UltraSharp models are on par with all but the most expensive, professional level LCDs.

We've had a 19" UltraSharp with our family computer for about 1 1/2 years now. The image quality is great, and during that time it's had no dead pixels or other problems.

I'm also happy to report that my 19" ViewSonic monitor continues to serve me well after almost 3 years, which is good, because it cost $300 in Oct. 2005. I don't know where ViewSonic stands today, but mine works as advertised...