Replacing Mobo... help!

NoMoreSpoons

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
I am looking to upgrade my motherboard and would like some suggestions.

I have been running into issues with my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. I get random video failure (using 2 different cards) and Asus refuses to acknowledge a problem. The worst part is that this is my 2nd replacement board. Each board prior to this one had different problems. First, there was an issue with random reboots. The first replacement had issues with identifying my 3 SATA drives (all installed alone). This current board is the least of my problems as it happens pretty infrequently.

With this being said, I am looking to get away from Asus (and it's subsidairies if possible) and finally replace this model. I want to get something that I can use with my current setup (see below) and grow into something better, later. I use my PC for everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING. (Photoshop, games, school, work, email, messaging, backup, and even minor video editting.)

AMD 5000 Black Edition
4x DDR2 1GB PC-6400
2x Nvidia 8600 GTS (512MB each) in SLI
3 SATA Drives
1 PATA DVD/RW
600W PSU

Floppy
Media Card Reader
5 internal 80mm fans
1 PCI USB card

I would like to continue running all of my devices and have the option of upgrading in the next year or two.

Here are my requirements:

2-4 PCI Express 2.0 slots
AM2+ socket
4 DDR2 slots
6 SATA 3.0 connections
1 E-SATA connection
Firewire
NO ONBOARD VIDEO
Onboard sound
Dual Gigabit LAN
atleast 2 fan connectors

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

iicsus

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Well if you want to keep SLI, nVidia is the only way to go. But there's no board out there that meets your requirements. The nForce 700 series has onboard video. The 500 has PCI Express 1 and it's only AM2. If you can live with onboard video and just 1 LAN, this one's a good deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813141010
If you want a board loaded with more stuff (and Dual LAN), then there's the more expensive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130160