Best HDD for making RAID 0

Krat0s

Distinguished
May 11, 2005
Hi all...I wish to buy two hdd's to make raid 0 but I would like to see some opinions on which is the best hdd to give me the ultra performance to play games and encoding and using winrar often. I've read articles and seen the charts here on toms and I guess that the Seagate 320gb 16cache 7200.11 is the leader in many tests done by this site...is it the best choice for making raid 0? I really wanted a smaller disk to make that...like 250gb. Thanks

Dave_56

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
The WB Velociraptor series drives are excellent drives but keep in mind that it's not just about the hard drive. The RAID controller used is just as important as the hard drive. You can have super fast hdd's but if your RAID controller is poor, your performance will suffer greatly. Most RAID controllers that come on mother boards these days will give fair performance. If you want super fast RAID and your budget can afford an add on RAID controller, then I would strongly recommend looking at some of Tom's reviews on SATA RAID controllers. AMCC/3ware, LSI and ADAPTEC are the leaders. Also keep in mind that RAID 0 offers NO data protection if a hdd fails.

Check out Tom's hardware review:

AMCC, Areca & LSI Serial RAID Controllers : SAS And SATA RAID, Powered By Unified Serial Controllers

This review can be found at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/SERIAL-RAID-CONTROLLERS-AMCC,1738.html

Good Luck.