Need help for new build.

JSPN

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I recently bought a new build, I have encountered an issue...

I put everything in and made sure it was all tightened up, I went to power it on and...
I first get a BIOS POST beep code (5 short Beeps) Then my computer proceeds to power off by itself 5 seconds after the Beep code. Then suddenly It powers Back on and gives Beep code again (5 short beeps), But it stays on this time, I only left it on for a half hour then turn it off. I have AWARD BIOS by the way.

System Specs:

E8400 45nm
DFI DK series Mobo
4gb G.skill ddr2
EVGA 8800GTS 320
seagate 500gb SATA
SB audigy4
dvd r/w+
cd r/w +
5 LED case fans
500 Watt Antec Smart power

(Recommended 518W PSU on calculator)

I put my 8800gts, SB aud4, cd drives and my old mobo + cpu back in and those work.

Now, I RMA'd my RAM to get a new set... And I ordered a OCZ 700W gameXstream PSU

Any suggestions? Did I take the right approach? I've never had to rma before.

Thanks, any help would be great.

akhilles

Splendid
1st thing to do when getting a different mobo is clear cmos. After installing cpu, ram & gpu, load defauls in bios. Sometimes you have to use one stick of ram until after you up the vdimm in bios.

DFI isn't made for beginners. If your board has a floppy/molex power connector or two, disconnect them. You don't need it unless you run crossfire/sli.

JSPN

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I already had cleared cmos, and I used 1 stick of ram, and no the board isn't for SLI (Once PCI-E x16 slot)

Oh and i forgot to say, I didn't even get the chance to do anything in BIOS because The was no display... yeah my card is fine and yes i checked if it was seated right.

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
The way i understand it, You turned it on, it turned off, then back on and stayed on? Did the computer actually work? Could you boot into Windows? Because the way i see it, it had a fluke, but then worked. In that case i don't think anything is wrong unless it doesn't POST/boot into the OS.

JSPN

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Yes, I turned it on, it turned off, then booted itself back on, then gave me 5 beep post beep code and stayed on.

No display, just like monitor almost seemed like it was in sleep mode. Didn't load anything onto screen just blinking monitor.

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Well if the monitor doesn't display anything, it may be your video card. Check and make sure it's got all the nessecary power connecters.

JSPN

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I had all of power connectors in and everything. So I put my video card in my old rig again and it's working... Thats why I was thinking it might be a weak power supply, because the new rig was recommended 518 watt minimum and I have a 500 watt. [12v1 17a and 12v2 18a]

So thats why i got the OCZ gameXstream 700W with quad 12v rails @ 18amps a piece.

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
That probably is then (i guess i missed the part when you said you had 500W PSU). Possibly the GPU isn't getting enough power...although i don't think thats it. I would guess the 518W reccomendation is for load wattage. Could be your CPU...

JSPN

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I have Award BIOS, 5 post beeps is CPU for AMI BIOS I believe.

Award BIOS says any kind of post beep code is Video error or RAM, and its not video because im using the 8800gts.

I'm guessing it might be a combination of both weak PSU and faulty RAM?

JSPN

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Thanks for the help with the discussion, I will get back to the topic when I receive my new RAM that I RMA'd. :)

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
If you plan on building future computers I would definitely get a PCI POST card to translate those beeps into something meaningful. If you end up buying one, when you plug it in use a hand-held mirror to read it (backwards obviously) as the code read out is put on the front of the card -- meaning its facing towards the ground. I can't really remember if the beeps are universal or not (I want to say they're not) but here's a rundown from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test#POST_AMI_BIOS_beep_codes

That says you've got a processor failure, but the way you're describing the problem definitely sounds like a power problem, though it could very well be a heating issue as well. Best of luck.

TRENDING THREADS