MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
Xigmatek S1283 Rifle CPU Cooler
Corsair HX520W
4GB OCZ SLI-Edition DDR2 800
Visiontek 4850
WD Caviar 250GB
X-Fi XtremeMusic
D-Link USB Hub (powering mouse, keyboard, canon printer and cell phone)
Samsung 17" 740n

So recently (like within the last week), I have found that when I power down the computer and then later on return, the computer does not power up. I push the power switch, but nothing happens. All cables appear to be properly connected and are securely connected. I have not made any hardware modifications since installing my 4850 about 2 months ago. The PC works perfectly fine when powered up.

When the computer has not powered up after pushing the start button, I have simply flipped the PSU switch, waited a few minutes, flipped the PSU switch back and then powered up. Today, however, that didn't work immediately. I took me about 10 attempts.

I have had this PSU for about a year and a half. Wondering if its dying or something. I can't explain the issues, but like I said...when its on...everything works great!

when you shut down are you pressing your computers power button? If so use the shutdown command in the O.S. and try power back on.

If that works then you prolly need to go into your power options and set it so that the pc shuts down when the power button is pressed. By default i think it's set to sleep.

If that produces no result then pull the power switch header from the mobo. use a screw driver to jump it. if that works then you have a faulty power switch.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Whoa...screwdriver to jump it? How do I do that exactly?

And yes, I am performing the correct procedure for shutting down a PC, right from Windows. This is not a new build, but this a very new problem.