Sign in with
Your question
Closed

230mm Fans VS 120mm Fans

Last response: in Overclocking
May 15, 2009 2:20:29 AM

Thats right, im asking which ones more efficient, and when i mean that, i mean the HAF 932 vs the Antec 1200

Cooler Master HAF932

Antec 1200

I know that the 230mm fans run much quiter than the 120mm fans, as they need to move less to cool more, but what i wanna know is if the 230mm fan can be sped up at the same speed at the 120mm fan, so it'll be like both fans at the same speed but the 230mm fan would cool much more, anyone know?

And if you have ANY better ideas than these two cases, i'd love to have your 2 cents, also will these 2 cases go good with water cooling? dunno ive never run water cooling nor have a ever built a computer, but water cooling is so smexy

More about : 230mm fans 120mm fans

a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2009 7:55:49 AM

I wouldn't know about the max speed of a 230mm fan comparative to a 120mm, but I do know the larger fan can push more air—while creating more noise.

Regarding water cooling, I suggest you read this: Introduction to Watercooling
a c 197 K Overclocking
May 15, 2009 12:56:51 PM

computernewbie said:
I know that the 230mm fans run much quiter than the 120mm fans, as they need to move less to cool more, but what i wanna know is if the 230mm fan can be sped up at the same speed at the 120mm fan, so it'll be like both fans at the same speed but the 230mm fan would cool much more, anyone know?

Apples and oranges here. You are comparing the 230mm fan on the top of the HAF with the 120mm fans on the Antec front and back instead of the 200 mm or so fan on the top of the Antec case.

I have an Antec 900 with the fans set to LOW. Good temps (Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz., P95 load, 58 - 61 C.). Running the fans faster does not improve the temperatures. Good thing too. MED speed is not too bad, but HIGH sounds like freaking vacuum cleaner setting on my desk.
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 15, 2009 2:03:44 PM

Both of those cases would be fine for watercooling, just try to do a lot of planning and reading up on what you need. It also depends on what you want to watercool. I just finished up my SLI loop and in a full-tower Gigabyte Aurora chassis, I have very little space left. It was different when I was only running a single card, but that second chews up a lot of real estate.

What are you looking on cooling with that loop? What have you looked at as far as WC components thus far? (you need to do a lot of research and reading before you make that purchase).
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 15, 2009 2:32:52 PM

Smexy. $300 for a quality i7 loop. Add to that for a GPU to the loop IF you have an old GPU card.

Smexy and $$ is a diff reality.
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 15, 2009 2:39:38 PM

Smexy. It's the word of the day.

I like it.
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2009 8:20:29 PM

There have been technical reviews and comparisons of the two cases. A few days ago I read a technical review and comparison of 5 pc cases. The tests involved measuring the ventilation, airflow, and cooling performance of the cases. A veriety of cpu, gpu, chipset, and hard drive temperature measurements were taken at idle and full load. The CoolerMaster HAF 932 won hands down, especially at full load. The Antec Twelve Hundred and the CoolerMaster 690 also did very well. There were two lesser known cases that did not do well. I didn't think to bookmark the review for future reference.
May 16, 2009 2:04:56 AM

do you have a link to these benchmarks? if it is so, then i will glady go with the HAF 932 if it has better ventilation
May 16, 2009 2:06:55 AM

im undecided weather i should go with air cooling or water cooling, as water cooling is much more expensive, and i myself am a newbie, so it'd be much easier for me to stick a heatsink on and use the stock fans, btw, should i change the cases stock fans? or are they just fine
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2009 9:18:13 AM

Unfortunately as previously posted, I didn't even think about bookmarking the review for future reference. It was not one of the more popular web sites that I regularly visit. I stumbled into it accidently while following links from one site to another. I wasn't surprised by the results because the CM HAF 932, Antec 1200, and CM 690 are all excellent cases. They are some of the cases most often recommended by the veteran posters at this forum.
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 16, 2009 12:40:36 PM

A haf 932 coupled with good air cooling is a great start for someone new. It's a great idea to get aftermarket air at less than 1/2 the cost to learn about overclocking and what ya can do.

May 16, 2009 1:16:20 PM

awesome, guess ill go with the HAF 932, as i said before, can you switch the stock fans (the fans in the case) for something better? or are the stocks just fine...
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 16, 2009 1:51:01 PM

I dunno, you tell me. Find stats on the fans that come with the case and compare it to places like this:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20...
Look up fan reviews, work the brain............. deep stuff there on XS.

And of course you can remove the fans in the case, need a few basic tools. Some one had to put them in, you should be able to take them out............

Of course the 1200 is just as good for your needs. Each fan has a 3 way speed switch in the case to adjust the speed, but I'm sure you knew that. Antec Tri-speed fans are almost popular due to 3 speed out of the box/case.

a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2009 6:40:47 PM

The stock fans in the HAF 932 are fine. No problem. Don't forget you will be adding a cpu heatsink with a fan and a video card with a fan. That automatically increases the total number of fans.Try it first with just the stock fans and see what kind of results you get. Mine were outstanding.
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2009 7:01:34 PM

cooler master haf is a eatx case so it's gonig to have a bit more room. From the pics it seems to support at least a dual 120mm rad uptop. I'd give the points to the cooler master haf as the better case. Although I personally like the look of my antec 1200 a lot more.
May 16, 2009 11:03:59 PM

yes the antec 1200 is more smexier lol, but the HAF has better cooling x.x, i also someone mod their antec 1200 to add some green LED lights, was smexy..
July 5, 2009 2:12:40 AM

i just bought the HAF 932 case and I was also wondering if:
230mm fans make less noise than 120mm fans at same speed, but push more air
July 25, 2009 8:00:02 PM

PsyKhiqZero said:
cooler master haf is a eatx case so it's gonig to have a bit more room. From the pics it seems to support at least a dual 120mm rad uptop. I'd give the points to the cooler master haf as the better case. Although I personally like the look of my antec 1200 a lot more.

Tripple Rad up on top. I have PA120.3 mounted up there with 3 120mm fans.
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 25, 2009 10:15:42 PM

NM
July 26, 2009 9:15:46 AM

is the tempest in the same class as the CM HAF 932? it fits e-atx as well, and has the room, and 4x120mm and 2x140mm fans...whats it like compared to these 2 cases?
a c 163 K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 5:46:29 PM

computernewbie said:
do you have a link to these benchmarks? if it is so, then i will glady go with the HAF 932 if it has better ventilation

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/full-tower-case,210...

Antec has a lower in case ambient temperature, but the HAF has better CPU and GFX temps. I would attribute this, at least in part, to the fact that the 1200 was tested "stock" w/o the two optional fans which are directed at the CPU and GFX card.
Acoustically, the HAF does betetr at idlke and the Antec better under load.
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 5:53:01 PM

Jack - This is an old thread from last July but thanks for posting the link. I have it added to my references now. I am growing old disgracefully and sometimes I forget stuff. At my age it is easy to do. Like, I know I am supposed to like women but I forgot why!
a c 163 K Overclocking
September 12, 2009 11:45:42 PM

Johnny:

Well this is Jack's son Caleb. :) 

I realized it was an old thread but as my Dad has always stressed paying attention to forum etiquette. So when I saw this, thought that those who pay attention to "search first" would benefit from the added info.

Seems as I'm never gonna get my own THG account as e-mails from THG get blocked by my ISP. Doing a trace to the THG site, one of the hops messages are going through is on the national list of known spam sites. My ISP's filters are therefore blocking all traffic from that site.
March 5, 2010 6:20:33 AM

notguru said:
i just bought the HAF 932 case and I was also wondering if:
230mm fans make less noise than 120mm fans at same speed, but push more air

-
Where can I buy a 230mm fan I need 3 of them and no where to be found
March 7, 2010 7:18:22 AM

Those are 200mm I need 230mm the holes are made for a 230mm
!