Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive failure (2nd HD going on 3rd)

Last response: in Storage
October 8, 2009 3:40:27 PM

My cousin has a Compaq laptop in which the original HD died on her. I purchased a new one from NewEgg, installed it and re-installed Windows Vista via the restore CD. It worked great for about a month and now the computer will not boot to windows and restarts itself.
I went through the recovery console and had windows look into the problem and it said the 'System Volume on Disk is Corrupt'. I did a quick Google search and everything is point to the hard drive being bad. The hard drive is under warranty since I just bought it but my concern is that the computer might be damaging the HD. I have never experienced this before and anyone gave give me some recommendations it would be appreciated.

This is is a Compaq Laptop I don't have the model#, has Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium, 2 gig memory, 120 SATA drive (it originally came with 80gigs)
a b G Storage
October 11, 2009 11:51:12 AM

It sounds like either bad luck with HDD's or things are getting a bit too hot in the laptop. Usually Compaqs and other pre-configured computers don't have too many temperature sensors, but it could be worth a shot to download SpeedFan and see what it says in regard to the temps. of the MOBO and such. Of course, do so after you can get another HDD.
m
l
!