methodman_31

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Ok my current system is as follows
Abit An-m2 Motherboard
AMD 5000+ dual core
4GB Corsair xm2 ddr2 6400
Seasonic 500 watt PSU

My main problem is upgrading. Now i bought the system as a second system cheap so i had a reliable pc. Now i want to upgrade, i bought an am2 board as i heard they would support the new processors. Now on the site it says theres a bios update so the mobo supports am2+. However on emailing amd they say none of the phenom processors will work in this board. Its about 11 month old and i ahve had no problems with it so do not want a new motherboard.
This means i am stuck with the x2 processors. I am thinking about the amd 6400 black edition. However according to amd and some other sites there is a new 5800 and 6000, using a brisbane architechture as oppose to the odl windsor ones, the new 6000 actually runs at 3.1 ghz as stock. So im not sure whether to wait for this to become availible or go for the 6400, any help would be appreciated !

royalcrown

Distinguished
okay when you check this, you'll USUALLY get more information if you go with the mobo manufacturer and not AMD.

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=1&model=384

I would ask them, it probably has to do with the power distribution layout for the cpu or something, I did not see a cpu support list ...sadly. Ask their cust service to find out to be sure.

The only problem I see is the new 6000 and 5800's might draw more amps than your board was designed for and fry your board. Again ask Abit what wattage cpu's it can handle. last i looked they had 125x and 95 watt 6000's.

methodman_31

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
It was abit i contacted and they said it wont work with a phenom. So it does seem i cannot go down the phenom route without a nw motherboard. Now the problem is i cannot source a black edition 6400, also not sure if i should wait for the 6000 3.1ghz. Would the 6400 be overclock much?

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
I would try overclocking the 5000+ you have now. Should not be too hard and 3.0 may be possible. I do not think any of the other x2's overclock much more than that. I have heard of black edition 5000+'s reaching 3.5ghz, though. $$$ wise it would make more sense to just try to overclock what you have.