Help needed

doddsie

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hi everyone im a first time caller so be gentle :D

Just got my new PC set up, not amazing compared to some that you lot have, but its nice for my needs and price range.

Im using;
AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3ghz AM2+
Asus M4N78 SE
2 gb ddr2 800mhz
and Nvidia 9600GT 512mb (BFG oc version)
Samsung Sata 250gb hard drive (SP2504c)
TTC-NK85TZ; Fenrir CPU fan

Ive built many computers, so that end of thing im fine with, but ive never Overclocked a PC, and really would be greatfull for some advice with overclocking, where to start, that kind of thing, maybe someone out there has a similar system that can let me know what settings they used.
I was thinking clocking up to 2.6 or something like that.

Thanks in advance Doddsie

ijbickerdike

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hi,

I have overclocked many systems before and it can take anything from a couple of hours to a full afternoon. You should be able to get at least 2.8Ghz with that but you need to remember to up the voltages on your cpu and FSB so it all works in tandem with each other and it isn't dragging power from anywhere. Also note that OC also reduces life of the CPU. You may also want to add additional voltage to your RAM.

Hope this helps

RGDS

doddsie

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I cant imagine i will have the CPU for much more than 1 or 2 years, will OC make much difference to me ?
And thanks all help is great, i should have looked at overclocking years ago, but my PCs have all been a bit rubish so never seemed worth it, this is all new to me :D
I guess i have to get one of my old PCs running next to this so i can run through the guide at the same time as changing settings :D
i guess i was wishfull thinking that someone had the same system as me, so stable settings had been found by someone else already.
the fun of learning :D

doddsie

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Okay well the mobo its self seems to have an auto OC feature, lets you run at 3 5 or 7 % faster. it sets everything as it should be so far at 7% it seems very stable. i dont suppose there would be a way to use these auto settings to work out a stable setting at 25% which should be about 2.87 clock speed?
I was thinking some sort of graph :D maybe?

ijbickerdike

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
They don't tend to do graphs for oc as it is not recommended. As for the auto setting, i turned mine off and it took a few hours to get a stable system. If you get to a point where you system will not boot you can always reset the CMOS. i HAVE A q6600 INTEL oc to 3.0Ghz from 2.4Ghz by turning auto settings off. If you have any more problems just let me know and i will try and help all i can. Can you also up voltages to you PCI slots for the graphics card?

Rgds
Ian

doddsie

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
okay well im stumped, i cant find a guide that looks like its for my mobo or CPU.

i wonder if maybe this isnt the best mobo to overclock. if anyone has seen a guide for my mobo and cpu i would be most greatfull.

thanks again doddsie

TRENDING THREADS