Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newly Built PC Trouble (Pictures inside)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 14, 2008 7:02:23 PM

Hi,

I've just recently purchased a load of gear to build up a new rig. I have ZERO experience building a pc, but I've used the manuals and i've got through. it's been a total nightmare.

the gear i bought was:

E8500
Striker II Formula
XFX 786mb Geforce 8800GTX
750W PSU
1gbx4 GEIL Black Dragon 8500 .. things..
Thermaltek Case

the gear i'm shafting from my OLD rig to the NEW rig is:

Baracude 160gb HDD 7200rpm (with stuff on.. XP and files etc)
and a CD rom thing.

as you can tell by my use of the word "things", i'm not a computer expert. quite the opposite. so, heres my problem:

i built this pc up, putting things in how the manuals described. took some time but i got there. then, im itching to try the power. i hooked it up to my monitor (im using a DVI to AGI (?) .. (the older one) connector from the 8800GTX into my monitor)

i set everything up, and hit the power button. and .. what do you know, it worked. kinda.

i had some trouble at first with the LCD poster reading "CPU init".. so i read some forums and reinstalled the CPU and that message went. next try the poster read "errormsg". so i took 3 of the 4 RAM sticks out, booted and got onto the bios. nosed around and came to a halt.

i saved and exited the bios hoping it would magically work. but no, when i did that im left with a black screen and no activity on-screen.

ive disclosed pictures below showing the bois settings. i REALLY dont know what the hell im doing now.

ANY help on what to change would be appriecated (dieing to play aoc :(  )

pictures:

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0359ta7.jp...

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2709/imgp0360xs1.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6377/imgp0361dx4.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7663/imgp0362xx3.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3706/imgp0363vp0.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2429/imgp0364uy0.jpg



when the BIOS is on, the LCD poster reads "DET IDE"

just looking for some direction about the BIOS and where to go next to get this thing up and running.

if you got to the bottom of this.. well done :p ! thanks in advance.

dann

More about : newly built trouble pictures inside

June 14, 2008 7:32:30 PM

I noticed you said that you put a HDD from your old comp in your new comp. You cant bring a Windows installation from a different comp and put it in a new one start using it. you have to reinstall windows on the new comp.
June 14, 2008 7:37:15 PM

my old pc was medion, and the disc was also medion. not sure if it would make a difference..

anyways, without a working pc here.. how would i reinstall windows on the HDD?

just pop the OS disc in the NEW rig and reinstall?
Related resources
June 14, 2008 7:49:04 PM

cheers for the reply joe!

ive got the disc, put it in, and.. im staring at that black screen still.

can i acces the disc from the BIOS or something?

any help is greatley appriecated, cheers !
June 14, 2008 7:50:37 PM

First, enable CPU internal thermal control. That will allow the CPU to throttle instead of burn up if you screwed up the heatsink mounting.

Better yet, manually default the BIOS as per the manual instructions (shorting the pins etc.) Boot to the BIOS and change only the RAM voltage to the SPEC on the RAM package. Don't change any settings untill you get a boot and can check temps etc.


You will probably need a new copy of XP or Vista. You can legally get an OEM copy from Newegg for less money because you bought a mobo and processor.
June 14, 2008 7:56:11 PM

I cant see how i will need a new copy Zorg,

either way i cant boot a new copy of vista/xp or the old xp disc, unless there is a way to get it running through the BIOS.. cheers
June 14, 2008 8:07:54 PM

Dannb said:
either way i cant boot a new copy of vista/xp or the old xp disc, unless there is a way to get it running through the BIOS.. cheers


cheers for those links zorg, though

the question still stands (the quote)

ta
June 14, 2008 8:09:38 PM

Dannb said:
I cant see how i will need a new copy Zorg,

either way i cant boot a new copy of vista/xp or the old xp disc, unless there is a way to get it running through the BIOS.. cheers
That is why I said to default the BIOS and start over changing only the RAM voltage to the Spec for that RAM. You can easily damage your hardware if you don't know what you are doing.

The XP may not work if it has been customized by the MFG. of you old PC, that's why I said probably. Additionally it is illegal to move and you may have trouble getting it activated.
June 14, 2008 8:11:14 PM

BIOS issue. Try another mobo.

Strikers and Striker II's are known for this. They are hit and miss.
June 14, 2008 8:20:34 PM

Zorg said:
That is why I said to default the BIOS and start over changing only the RAM voltage to the Spec for that RAM. You can easily damage your hardware if you don't know what you are doing.

The XP may not work if it has been customized by the MFG. of you old PC, that's why I said probably. Additionally it is illegal to move and you may have trouble getting it activated.


i see.

bit lost on finding this "ram voltage" menu and finding the actual number i would set it to (1066mhz?).

i've set the BOIS to the default, but i still cant see how im going to get a new copy of vista/xp on with this black screen.

sorry for being a nuisance! :( 

cheers zorg.
June 14, 2008 8:28:58 PM

bornking said:
BIOS issue. Try another mobo.

Strikers and Striker II's are known for this. They are hit and miss.


unfortunatley it isnt that simple.

your telling me that ive bought a motherboard which just "might not" work? ridiculous.
June 14, 2008 8:34:52 PM

Dannb said:
i see.

bit lost on finding this "ram voltage" menu and finding the actual number i would set it to (1066mhz?).

i've set the BOIS to the default, but i still cant see how im going to get a new copy of vista/xp on with this black screen.

sorry for being a nuisance! :( 

cheers zorg.
No, I said set the RAM Voltage to spec not speed (pic #5), which is a moot point of the machine won't POST. I don't know why you can't get into BIOS. You did disable the CPU internal temperature monitoring, which protects the CPU from cooking itself, IMO always a bad Idea. I don't know if it overheated or not, but it's certainly a possibility, especially with the crap stock Intel heatsink mounting system.
June 14, 2008 8:43:24 PM

Zorg said:
No, I said set the RAM Voltage to spec not speed (pic #5), which is a moot point of the machine won't POST. I don't know why you can't get into BIOS. You did disable the CPU internal temperature monitoring, which protects the CPU from cooking itself, IMO always a bad Idea. I don't know if it overheated or not, but it's certainly a possibility, especially with the crap stock Intel heatsink mounting system.


I think your not understanding the problem. My fault no doubt.

I boot my pc and everything is fine. I get a menu saying

"Striker II Formula"

"Press del to enter set up press tab to view BIOS POST (?)"

If i'm to leave that menu untouched, i assume to attempts to boot up, but nothing happens. The screen stays black. It's not an "off" black, but theres nothing showing.

If i'm to press del on the menu mentioned above then im into the BIOS, and i can change anything in there.

The sink feeling im getting read these posts is horrible, your saying my hardware could be fried in the first day of having it?

Cheers.
June 14, 2008 9:01:12 PM

No, if you can POST and get into BIOS your CPU isn't fried. I thought it wouldn't post at all.
June 14, 2008 9:02:55 PM

Disable ROG logo (pic #2) and you will be able to see it post. It is hanging somewhere. Usually it will come back with a boot failure.
June 14, 2008 9:04:13 PM

PEBKAC I think. It is obvious that you lack the requisite knowledge to setup a system properly. Spend a couple of days reading how-to articles on assembling and setting up your system. Then if you are still having problems, post again.
Or better yet, get a knowledgeable friend to help you through this step by step or take your parts to a local computer shop, drop a few bucks and have them set it up for you.
June 14, 2008 9:05:47 PM

Will do, cheers.

Anything else you would recommend changing considering my specs?
June 14, 2008 9:06:09 PM

Dannb said:
I think your not understanding the problem. My fault no doubt.

I boot my pc and everything is fine. I get a menu saying

"Striker II Formula"

"Press del to enter set up press tab to view BIOS POST (?)"

If i'm to leave that menu untouched, i assume to attempts to boot up, but nothing happens. The screen stays black. It's not an "off" black, but theres nothing showing.

If i'm to press del on the menu mentioned above then im into the BIOS, and i can change anything in there.

The sink feeling im getting read these posts is horrible, your saying my hardware could be fried in the first day of having it?

Cheers.


It's what somebody else has already mentioned: The motherboard can't read your old Hard drive, meaning it can't boot windows (that's why you're getting the black screen, although some get an error accompanying it). It's odd that a message does not come up when you have the OS disk in, asking you to boot from the CD, but try changing the boot order (your last screen) to the CD before your hard drive.

It's got nothing to do with RAM/voltage if it makes it past POST.

*Edit* By last screen I mean the screen you see in the last screenshot you linked in your original post.
June 14, 2008 9:14:39 PM

OK the ROG is something else, let me look at the manual. As Ryun et al. have said something is stopping it from booting, however, even with the old drive it should attempt to boot.
June 14, 2008 9:17:42 PM

rgsaunders said:
PEBKAC I think. It is obvious that you lack the requisite knowledge to setup a system properly. Spend a couple of days reading how-to articles on assembling and setting up your system. Then if you are still having problems, post again.
Or better yet, get a knowledgeable friend to help you through this step by step or take your parts to a local computer shop, drop a few bucks and have them set it up for you.


I was planning on taking it to a shop, and considering phoning someone up. Thanks for the advice.

Ryun said:
It's what somebody else has already mentioned: The motherboard can't read your old Hard drive, meaning it can't boot windows (that's why you're getting the black screen, although some get an error accompanying it). It's odd that a message does not come up when you have the OS disk in, asking you to boot from the CD, but try changing the boot order (your last screen) to the CD before your hard drive.

It's got nothing to do with RAM/voltage if it makes it past POST.

*Edit* By last screen I mean the screen you see in the last screenshot you linked in your original post.


Thanks for the reply,

I did what you said about the order of booting and still nothing. And the disc is still in there.


Conclusion : Buy a new copy of windows and ...
June 14, 2008 9:35:25 PM

I found the setting to disable the POST logo which may help you see where it is hanging.

Boot settings configuration
Full Screen Logo - Disabled
June 14, 2008 9:39:30 PM

What will that achieve if i disable that Zorg?

What will be different when i start up the PC?
June 14, 2008 9:42:24 PM

I will remove the stupid logo screen that all the mobo manufacturers put over the POST screen and allow you to see the POST process and possibly determine at what point it is hanging.

POST - Power On Self Test.
June 14, 2008 9:47:04 PM

Well, it removed the logo screen. But the process at the start went so fast it wasnt read able. Now im left with a black screen still but this time there is a flickering "_" in the top left.

Another thing i have noticed is, when the rig first starts, in the top left corner of the screen it shows system information briefly, i have 4gb of ram installed but it only reads 768 (?) on the screen.

in the bios it says there is 4gb in the system however.

cheers.
June 14, 2008 9:49:02 PM

Disable Quick Boot on the same screen and let it check you RAM. It's not a full test just a quick check.
June 14, 2008 9:58:13 PM

There should be 2 screens. remove the HDD and try to boot to the CD/DVD. If that doesn't work Remove the CD/DVD and plug in the HDD and try to boot to that.

I don't see your CD in the BIOS so try removing it first.
June 14, 2008 10:04:24 PM

Right, the check read something like

ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA BIOS REVISION 0902

Main Processor : .. (was correct)

Memory : Counted all 40000000k

then something else checked quickly and im left with this screen :

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6900/imgp0369vs7.jpg
June 14, 2008 10:05:50 PM

Well if you read the bottom it clearly says " a disk read error occurred" that is a HD/CD boot problem.
June 14, 2008 10:08:25 PM

So you think i should unplug the HDD, and try and boot the CD ROM?

If that doesnt work you think i should try and unplug the CD ROM and boot the HDD?
June 14, 2008 10:08:52 PM

Like I said I don't see the CD/DVD in the BIOS only the HD, so it appears that the mobo doesn't see the CD. Unplug it and see if you can boot to the HD. Be sure the HD is set in the boot order.
June 14, 2008 10:13:21 PM

I didnt unplug it, but i set the HD first in the boot order and still nothing.

I'm calling it a night now, Zorg. could you perhaps advise where i would take this for tomorrow?

to professionals perhaps?

thanks alot
June 14, 2008 10:18:32 PM

The CD could be causing problems with the HDD I would unplug it and boot again.

Good luck
June 14, 2008 10:31:21 PM

Zorg said:
Like I said I don't see the CD/DVD in the BIOS only the HD, so it appears that the mobo doesn't see the CD. Unplug it and see if you can boot to the HD. Be sure the HD is set in the boot order.

I noticed the same thing and it made me wonder if the jumpers are setup correctly on each device and which position on the cable each device is using. Since both your HDD and CD drive are IDE you need to set the jumpers correctly so the BIOS can access them. The device on the end of the cable should be setup as Master (some manufacturers have different settings for master and master with slave present) and the device on the other connector should be setup as slave. My thinking is that with your old machine you likely had 2 seperate IDE channels and each device was on one and both were set as Master so you had a primary and secondary master.
June 14, 2008 10:53:41 PM

Agreed, I wasn't even about to address jumpers until his machine booted. I was using the KISS method, especially since I misunderstood him at each step of the way. I was hoping the HD was at the end and set for master.
June 14, 2008 11:06:22 PM

Zorg said:
The CD could be causing problems with the HDD I would unplug it and boot again.

Good luck


Good catch Zorg. Checking the jumper settings is a good idea too. Also, make sure you've got the cable plugged in the right way on your DVD/CD drive. (I don't see how you could plug it in wrong since the IDE controller has a key to prevent you from plugging it in incorrectly on your Striker II).
June 14, 2008 11:07:00 PM

Zorg said:
Agreed, I wasn't even about to address jumpers until his machine booted. I was using the KISS method, especially since I misunderstood him at each step of the way. I was hoping the HD was at the end and set for master.

I'm sure it is because it's showing up in the BIOS but I bet the optical drive is set for master as well and that's why the BIOS can't access it to boot from it.
June 15, 2008 12:13:56 AM

I agree, remember KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid, and I'm not referring to Dannb it's just a saying). Dannb has absolutely no idea what he is doing and I was having a hard time understanding what exactly was occurring. So, to keep it as simple as possible, remove the CD and boot. If it doesn't boot, then determine where the HD is plugged in and whether the it is strapped right. Then we can get all "fancy" :lol:  and determine what is going on with the CD. Doesn't that make more sense?
June 15, 2008 12:27:10 AM

agreed. It almost gets to the point that you've been doing this sort of thing for so long that you tend to overlook the basics and you forget what it was to know nothing.
June 15, 2008 12:56:38 AM

Dannb said:


Another thing i have noticed is, when the rig first starts, in the top left corner of the screen it shows system information briefly, i have 4gb of ram installed but it only reads 768 (?) on the screen.

in the bios it says there is 4gb in the system however.

cheers.


What you are seeing in the top left corner is your video card RAM not system RAM.
June 15, 2008 2:17:48 AM

Dude Installing Windows is not rocket science.

1: go into the BIOS and make sure that your Disc Drive is #1.

2: pop in the Disc and Walaa. You are now installing Windows.

you said you brought the HDD from your old comp and put it in the new comp.
If you never reinstalled windows on the HDD after moving it you'll have issues because that Install was on the other computer with that Hardware.

Now its in this computer with all new hardware.

Reinstall
June 15, 2008 3:19:36 AM

It should still attempt to boot, did you read the whole thread?
June 15, 2008 11:05:36 AM

Ok,

I tried unplugging the CD drive and setting the HDD priority first and it booted. I was faced with a screen asking to register windows. I tried that but couldnt connect to the internet for some reason. It said connect automatically (which i tried and it failed) or connect to a proxy. But surprisingly enough, i'm not sure on the idea of what a proxy is. :pfff: 

Next, i removed the HDD and plug the CD back in. Set the priority for the CD first and again it booted. Since i have the windows disc in, it took me to a windows set up menu. Obviously, it couldnt detect the HDD so it wouldnt set up.

Thanks alot.

--

Pictures perhaps to assist:

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/6126/imgp0375fb3.jpg

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/3144/imgp0374vp0.jpg

June 15, 2008 11:37:01 AM

If a solution would be to buy a new HDD & CD Drive & an OEM copy of XP/Vista I'm happy to try that.

Then I would need to get the BIOS settings correct.
June 15, 2008 12:28:27 PM

Dannb said:
If a solution would be to buy a new HDD & CD Drive & an OEM copy of XP/Vista I'm happy to try that.

Then I would need to get the BIOS settings correct.


Glad to hear your CD drive and HDD still work. Anyway, what others have mentioned on the last page is that your CD drive and HDD are in conflict with one another since they are both probably set to master IDE device. Take out your CD drive and read the sticker on the top. It should show a listing for different positions for moving the shunt on the jumper to get it listed as a slave device. Move the jumper to the correct position and your CD & HD drives will work simultaneously allowing you to reformat your drive and install windows. =)

You should not need to buy a new copy of anything.
June 15, 2008 2:18:29 PM

Dannb said:
Ok,

I tried unplugging the CD drive and setting the HDD priority first and it booted. I was faced with a screen asking to register windows. I tried that but couldnt connect to the internet for some reason. It said connect automatically (which i tried and it failed) or connect to a proxy. But surprisingly enough, i'm not sure on the idea of what a proxy is. :pfff: 

Next, i removed the HDD and plug the CD back in. Set the priority for the CD first and again it booted. Since i have the windows disc in, it took me to a windows set up menu. Obviously, it couldnt detect the HDD so it wouldnt set up.

Thanks alot.

--

Pictures perhaps to assist:

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/6126/imgp0375fb3.jpg

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/3144/imgp0374vp0.jpg

That's because XP doesn't have the drivers for your ethernet chip. Vista has many more drivers on the disc so there is less chance of running into this problem. Check the jumpers on the back of each device and make sure the optical drive (CD ROM) is set as slave. Your board only has 1 IDE channel so both devices need to be connected to the same cable. The connector at the end is for the master so you should set your HDD as master and plug it in there. The other connector is the slave so make sure your optical drive is set to slave and plug it in there. The jumpers are on the back and there should be a small scematic describing the jumper position on the bottom of the device near where the jumpers are or on the label.
June 15, 2008 5:15:23 PM

Happy to see you got it resolved.

I agree with both posts, strap/jumper the CD drive to slave/cable select. As I said earlier you may need to get a new copy of XP/Vista because they probably won't validate that copy due to the fact that an OEM copy is nontransferable. Plus the issue of a custom OEM CD, Dell and HP are famous for that, and probably Gateway as well. That's why I linked the OEM versions, in case you were not familiar with them. You can certainly try first, not legally of course.
June 16, 2008 2:49:59 PM

Well, I gave in and took it to the store. But im overwhelmed at the help.

I'll tell you how it went when they call on wednesday!

Cheers!
!