Is my new motherboard DOA? will not post

captain9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
my P5Q PRO mobo just will not post.. no beeps and im just staring at a black screen. All fans are running, green LED on mobo is lit up.

All cables plugged in properly (24 pin, extra 8 pin, cpu fan, vid card pci-e power cable, etc..)

Tested my PSU through the manufacturers troubleshooting faq, and it works like intended.

Pulled both sticks of RAM out and still no beeps..

Tried resetting CMOS.. nothing

3 notes:

1- on power up, my vid card fan seems to be louder than it should be and is at very fast rpm's (brand new card that i have not tried in any other systems, but still just seems to be louder than it should be). vid card is 4870 x2.
2- The rear panel connectors (where you plug in mouse, kb, speakers, lan cable, etc..) do not seem to be supplying power.. my mouse and keyboard are not lit up when i plug into them. (what is interesting is that my keyboard is usb, and when i plug it in at the front of my case, it lights up.. (although that usb port is not tied to the usb on the rear panel)..
3- I may have shorted my mobo when not having it seated properly in the case on first power up.. i discovered that the bottom of the mobo was actually touching the case..

anyone have an Rx for the problem i am having? or is my mobo headed for the morgue?

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Make sure your motherboard is connected to the case speaker. If it is then I would guess your gotta dead motherboard, usually you get beeps for no installed memory. If you didn't connect your case USB ports to the USB headers then you got something seriously screwed up with your rig...