Ram - OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4096MB PC12800 DDR3 - 380$
Case - VG4000BNSB - 260$
Dvd Drive - Asus BC-1205PT BluRay Combo Drive - 340$
Keyboard/Mouse - MX 5500 - 200$
Moniter - -
SoundCard(optional) - -
HardDrive - -
Powersupply - OCZ GameXStream 850 - 280$

so far this is the build, im unsure of which motherboard i should get that would best utilize my build also which is the best air cooling products out? and what about these new raptor harddrives ? are they any good

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Considering this is a gaming rig, apart from the CPU it is all wrong....terrible waste of money...

avoid that GPU like a flesh eating virus ... the new Radeon and Nvidia cards are just a week away...get one of them instead.

DDR3 RAM is a horrendous waste of money... there are virtually nil advantages of DDR3 when compared to DDR2 ........ get 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM

Get the Gigabyte X38-DS4 mobo ... costs about $180

the very best air cooler is Xigmatek S1283

Velociraptors are fast but not worth the $300 .... you should get a Seagate 500GB 7200.11 now and get the Velociraptors (when they're better priced) about 3 months later.

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Agreed with above poster.

Also, the Blu-ray drive is a terrible waste of money. All it will be able to do is "play" blu-ray disks. It won't be able to actually play them in high-def, it will still be in normal dvd quality. So save yourself 320 USD, and spend it on a better monitor.

The velociraptors are good, but 1 USD/1gb is terrible. Unless price is no object, then it would be stupid to get one (or two!).

I'd save some money from the KB/mouse, and going with DDR2. The best air cooling product I know is the Noctua NH-U12P.
http://www.ncixus.com/products/27130/NH-U12P/Noctua/
Very close behind it and just a bit less quiet are the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (with a Scythe SFF21F fan) and the Thermalright IFX-14.
For any of these, you must make sure your case is big enough to fit them.

For that sort of money you can get an Enermax Galaxy 1000W instead of the GameXStream 850W.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194019

+1 for the Q9450 and the VelociRaptor. Yes the VelociRaptor's price per GB is horrible, but you seem to have plenty of money and it is a great piece of hardware. Add a WD6400AAKS or two for storage.

Monitor: 245BW or 245T. The "T" is better for movies and photos, but the BW is cheaper.

OK, I'm a total noob here, I was never interested in Blu-Ray and know almost nothing about it. Are you absolutely sure about this? Will any Blu-Ray drive do that? What's the point of making these drives then? Is there any way to actually get HD playing properly on a PC?

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
+1 to above posts about scraping most of the build. You can get the cpu, get a decent mobo if you plan to overclock 3.6ghz or more (recommend the rampage formula). The video card is a waste of money unless you are getting a really good deal on it considering GTX 260 or 280 is less than a week away. Blu-Ray drives will probably drop in price, and you will regret it. Plus pc games don't ship with blu-rays yet. If you plan to watch blu-ray movies on the pc, get it, if not don't get it.

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
@avem -- yes im sure. The point is that if you have a blu-ray disc and you wanna watch it, and only have a DVD drive what can you do? At least if you have blu-ray, you can watch it. To get HD, you need to either get the files on the HD in high def or get a blu-ray player (HD) (they arn't for sale yet tho).

reikalusikka

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008

I don't quite understand dopekittens post.
If you have a blu-ray drive and playing a blu-ray movie while your screen resolutuion is above y x 1080(or 720) you should be able to get HD. Well it's a different thing if the movies aren't HD for some reason on a blu-ray.
Actually HD has been on computers for ages, it's just a higher resolution basicly.

And If I am for some reason wrong, you can still use blu-ray's for storage. Hell of a lot more space than on a regular dvd.
And you can always find downloadable HD content on the internet which you can watch but obviously not burn on a blu-ray with that drive.

But I still wouldn't buy a blu-ray drive, a waste of money ATM. No use now and if you need it later,(like years from now) buy the drive later and it will be a lot cheaper.

If you have a money to spare rather buy a good computer chair and desk cuz you obviously are gonna spend a lot time on the computer ;)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
No you all do not understand.... I realize that a PC CAN play HD. The point is that the actual drive...the hardware that reads the blu-ray disc cannot read it in high def. Its like the PS3. It can play blu-ray movies, but not in the max blu-ray definition. Same with the computer drives. Currently the only drives that CAN play blu-ray in it's max definition are made by sony and their are only 4 different types out.

Zenthar

Distinguished
@Dopekitten - About PS3 and PC BD drive not being able to play movies in full HD, do you have any source/link about that? It sure sounds like plausible marketing crap from vendors, but I haven't been able to find any information on the matter. Everywhere I look, they simply say you need HDCP compliant hardware to play 1080p.

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
I'm looking...I don't remeber where i read it. Unfortunately it's not easy to find because their are only like 6 Blu-ray players in the world (including the PS3) and the only things about the PS3 Blu-ray player are how it's 1: better than DVD quality (duh) and how its cheap. Little/nothing comparing it to other blu-ray players.

Edit: I've found little at most. So obviously i don't have evidence to back up my claim, but @OP, think about what i said. I mean at the very least it makes sense. Why would sony sell a blu-ray player for 600 USD and also see a blu-ray player + game player for 600 USD?

Zenthar

Distinguished
I saw that early PS3s had firmware issues that caused problems with Blu-Ray playback, maybe that was what you saw; maybe a similar issue was plaguing early PC BD drives. I've seen many reviews of PS3 compared to stand-alone Blu-Ray players and most said the PS3 looks sharper. Again, there are many PS3 models, maybe some of them have issues others don't.

As for the price, it could simply be because, for the PS3, Sony has 2 sources of revenue: games AND Blu-Ray discs. If they sell the PS3 at close to no profit (probably even at loss), they can still hope to achieve profitability faster than for a plain stand-alone player (the profit margin for games might also be higher). It could also be a strategy to push Blu-Ray players into homes to win the HD war; a few months ago, I read somewhere that PS3 represented about 80% of the Blu-Ray players sold ... seems to have worked.

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Unfortunately the fact that the PS3 is 80% of all blu-ray players means that there is no un-bias or no comparison between those and the actual blu-ray players that sony sells.