Samsung digital cable tuner needs firmware upgrade?

I have a Samsung TX-P2670WH, which is a 26" CRT HTDV with built in
tuners. It's about one year old. When I was on this group for a while
after I bought it, I seem to recall people saying that the digital
cable tuner in this thing won't work unless I get a firmware upgrade.
I'm ordering basic cable right now, and someone in my local area says
that basic cable in these parts will, for those with modern tuners,
often include extra channels that aren't supposed to be part of basic.
Apparently this is not uncommon with cable providers. I want to see
how many of those channels I can get.

So (1) is it true that I can't use my digital cable tuner without a
firmware upgrade? (2) Does anyone know a handy way to get and apply
that upgrade? From what I hear, dealing with Samsung customer service
will require tremendous patience; is there a DIY alternative?
2 answers Last reply
More about samsung digital cable tuner firmware upgrade

    May be best to contact an authorized Samsung Service Facility, or Samsung
    directly, via their customer assistance phone or web sites and ask this very
    particular question regarding their products.
    "Paul Kienitz" <paul-NOZPAM@paulkienitz.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Samsung TX-P2670WH, which is a 26" CRT HTDV with built in
    > tuners. It's about one year old. When I was on this group for a while
    > after I bought it, I seem to recall people saying that the digital
    > cable tuner in this thing won't work unless I get a firmware upgrade.
    > I'm ordering basic cable right now, and someone in my local area says
    > that basic cable in these parts will, for those with modern tuners,
    > often include extra channels that aren't supposed to be part of basic.
    > Apparently this is not uncommon with cable providers. I want to see
    > how many of those channels I can get.
    >
    > So (1) is it true that I can't use my digital cable tuner without a
    > firmware upgrade? (2) Does anyone know a handy way to get and apply
    > that upgrade? From what I hear, dealing with Samsung customer service
    > will require tremendous patience; is there a DIY alternative?

    I believe when I was here last year, I saw all of these issues
    addressed in some way or other, so I know it's not hopelessly beyond
    the group... I should probably spend some time tracking down as many of
    those old messages as I can.

HDTV Tuner Firmware Cable Samsung Home Theatre