My friends computer build, any suggestions?

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Ok, first of all you don't need a X48 in any case unless you want to do crossfire. Get a P35, and if you really need that "1600 FSB support" (P35 can be overclocked to that) you can get a P45. (Get a GA-P35/45-DS3L). It will save you at least 100 USD also. Use that to get a better HD or something.

I hope your friend is overclocking because the E8400 is a beast.

Also one last thing. I know that the sunbeam core contact is listed as the best on frostytech, but i haven't seen anybody using it. I wouldn't trust it. I think the Xigmatek S1283 is a better bet, but it's his choice.

Evreything else is fine.

PSU is fine.

Why 2gb? Get 4gb, Vista will run slow otherwise. RAM is cheap, there is no reason not to. Get this ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194
It's 75 USD after MIR

Also, i don't see why he needs to get a 9800 GX2. Terrible price/performance ratio. A 8800 GTS 512mb (G92) will be fine.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Will the cooler fit that mobo, it has 36mm clearance from top of cpu to bottom fin, how tall is the northbridge chipset? Also a consideration is that the cooler is 143mm tall, will it fit that case with the great bloody big fan in side? Note also that the Frostytech reviews are done with the shipping fans, so you don't get true comparative reviews of the heatsinks themselves. A standard fan should be used for all reviews where possible, reducing controllable variables where possible.