Sign in with
Your question

Full Raid 0 500GB - migration paths

Last response: in Storage
October 8, 2009 10:38:03 PM

Hi

Cant find a clear answer to what i should do so here goes:

Dell Dimension 9200 with a RAID 0 setup using 2 250GB disks.

Getting full

Currently using a 500GB USB back up for nightly storage of prescious stuff.

Getting nervous of my Raid0, plus back is getting tricky as reach capacity.

Wondering whether to:

Buy a NAS and ship all my media out to that (and maybe a USB backup running off that)

Migrate to a 4 x 1TB Raid 1 setup (but not sure how to move from current setup to there)

Migate to a 3 x 1TB Raid 5 setup (again not sure how easy to migrate or whether need level 5 integrity)

All advice gratefully received.

More about : full raid 500gb migration paths

a b G Storage
October 8, 2009 10:45:55 PM

dont get raid 5.

maybe 4x1tb in a raid 0+1
and 1 2tb in an esata for backup.
October 8, 2009 10:59:32 PM

Thx. Makes sense.
How should I migrate though? As easy as plugging 2x 1tb in ,
changing raid 0 to raid0+1 and then swapuing out old smaller disks for remainign2x 1tb?
Related resources
October 9, 2009 4:38:31 AM

I'm not familiar with RAID0+1 personally but generally breaking the RAID is a really bad idea (ie you can't just go from RAID0 to RAID5, just not sure about 0+1).

So I'm assuming you'll need to create a new RAID and migrate the data with the problem of not being able to move the data from 1 RAID to another. I would probably look to get the backup device first so you can back up whatever data you have. Either eSATA or NAS I'm sure would work.

Another option you could try is Acronis. You'd still have to have a backup device to store the image but you could take the current image (RAID0) and, after creating the new RAID (0+1, 1, or 5), you can use Acronis to slap that image on there. This is assuming also that you aren't looking for a fresh install. Theoretically, this is the quickest method.

My advice would be to get the backup solution first and back up all data before you start to play around with RAID's.
October 10, 2009 10:19:48 PM

I think you have 6 sata ports in you dell...
so save your money and just add 2 1tb or larger drives in raid 1.
Or get and external one with mirroring.

!