Is increasing voltage necessary?

alia83444

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Hello, i recently overclocked my e6400 from 2.13(stock) to 3Ghz. I then decided to go abit further to 3.2Ghz as this is the max fsb my motherboard can support. Ive heard that most people who overclock their cpus increase their voltages, however i didnt and my pc successfully botted up. Is it necessary to increase my voltages or would that just give me the disadvantage of high temperatures?

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Test your current overclock with prime95 for 5-6 hours, if its stable, you're still OK on voltages. Otherwise, bump the vcore up until you're stable.

how did you overclock the cpu?
did you leave everything else on auto?
if so the motherboard automatically increased the voltages.
when you overclock you increase voltage to have better system stability meaning in my case my q6600@ 3.4ghz runs at 1.400vcore if i lower it my system will become unstable, get bsod, random crashes and yes when you increase voltage you increase the temps too so if your overclocking its recommended to have aftermarket heatsink so the excessive heat can be drawn out from your processor making its safe.

hope that helps

aceadam

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Start up CPU-Z and look at your voltage then run Prime95 and large settings and see what voltage your CPU is at then lower it as close as u can to that voltage in Bios. This will also help CPU Temp and over-volting can damage CPU

P.S there is another tool that monitors CPU Voltage's but i forgot what it is called.

aceadam

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Start up CPU-Z and look at your voltage then run Prime95 and large settings and see what voltage your CPU is at then lower it as close as u can to that voltage in Bios. This will also help CPU Temp and over-volting can damage CPU

P.S there is another tool that monitors CPU Voltage's but i forgot what it is called.