TeraByte HDD restrictions

flagman

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Any idea where I can find out the partition restrictions? Also, I'm not aware of what IIRC means. Does 6 mean it can have 6 primary partitions? Thanks for your help.

IIRC = if I recall correctly.

I looked it up some more, and apparently, you can have at most 4 primary partitions. However, you can set up a primary partition as "extended", and that can be filled with several logical partitions. That should allow for significantly more partitions than if you limited it to purely primary.

dont'w worry about the size of partitions as long as you have XP SP1 or later
MBR (Master Boot Record) allows for 2 TiB/partition

there can be up to 4 primary partitions, not sure about extended partitions (maybe 32) for a total of 36 (depends on the number of extended partitions there can be)

sub mesa

Distinguished
Use folders to seperate different data; not partitions. Partitions are inflexible; you can't easily change the allocation of space to partitions. Folders can.

Some people use partitions as i use folders; i think the folders have every benefit while using partitions for this purpose has no benefits at all.

So in general, try to have as few and as large partitions you can get. This is especially true for data storage, less true for a system disk.

flagman

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

Thanks everyone. You have been a big help.