Sign in with
Your question

Should I wait?

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2008 3:49:16 PM

I've been away from the forums for a while. Work and wife left me little time lol. I was going to upgrade to having: E8500, DX10, Vista, and possibly the soundcard as well. I read about the coming soon specs of the Nethlehem processors. Should I wait for this new processor? I'm not in a rush to order parts. I also saw DX11 is in the works? Something to watch? Is Vista stable enough for games?

More about : wait

August 1, 2008 4:06:24 PM

1) There will ALWAYS be something better around the corner.

2) Nehalem is SO new (an entirely new architechture and socket) that it is entirely possible you wind up getting burned no matter how good it looks on paper (see also AMD Phenom).

If you're in no hurry, then don't hurry, but the current crop of 775 CPUs are really fast right now, you know?
August 1, 2008 4:10:26 PM

i wound not wait nehlehem is going to come out in the fall and i think it will be costly and hard to find in stock. also dx11 i think will come out next year and they wont be making games t support it in 2years. if you wait your going to be waiting forever because theirs always something new to come out

e8500 oc'ed
ati 4850/4870
4 gigs of ram would last a long time

vista is completely stable for games i have been using it since the beta's i dont know what people keep on complaining about
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 4:12:45 PM

^You didn't answer his question. Oh and difference between Nehalem and Pheonm: Phenom was all paper until a few weeks before release where AMD held in house testing using cherry picked parts. THG and Anand both have actual Nehalem chips.

Vista is very stable for games. I game on it all the time. TF2, HL2 (+ all the Episodes), Garrys Mod, Half Life, Sven Coop, Crysis, COD4, Lost Planet, C&C3 and a bunch of other games and have never had one game crash on Vista.

I would say wait for Nehalem. Reason? It will be worth it. It will be faster than C2Q and more than likely future chips will be able to use the same socket like AMD does.
August 1, 2008 4:13:50 PM

remember dont get a sound card unless you plan on getting good speaker. i have my creative xfi gamer platinum with z5500's and i would think about going to onboard sound

when i think about it if you really feel like you can wait then what could it hurt. if you wait i would go and fined hd, powersupply, sound cards, case on sale in the next couple of months you'll save a lot of money if you do it right
a c 143 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 4:30:55 PM

Well, you could upgrade those components you might move into your new rig, like a new GPU.
I'm not sure waiting is "worth" it, in a business sense where there is money involved. Even if Nehalem is 10x faster, that probably really only matters to people in high-tech labs doing intense crunching. If you're buying a system for gaming, the GPU is probably more important, and that's something you can upgrade now. A 4850 would be nice. I'm not sure I'd put a 4870 on your PSU, but it might be enough.
August 1, 2008 4:51:36 PM

you can always settle for something a little cheaper now, and save a bit for later right? maybe a slightly overclockable mobo, e7200, 4850? should run about $700 right? i dont kno, i wouldn't want to wait, i have no patience. to prove i have no patience, i have 2x 2900pros..lol SHADDAP
August 1, 2008 4:52:52 PM

will dx11 support full ray tracing, or partial ray tracing? by partial i mean some rt here and there, but majority using whatever we use today [forgot the terminology]
a c 127 à CPUs
August 1, 2008 5:24:49 PM

^Details on DX11 are sketchy. We are using Rasterization now. But it should support full for both ray tracing and rasterization that way we can get the best performance in a game with the best effects. So maybe Crsysi will run good if they add some ray tracing effects to it.

And don't worry. I have a HD2900Pro 1GB. But it performs much better than people said. In fact min can keep up with a 2900XT in some cases.
August 4, 2008 3:26:53 AM

cal8949 said:
i wound not wait nehlehem is going to come out in the fall and i think it will be costly and hard to find in stock. also dx11 i think will come out next year and they wont be making games t support it in 2years. if you wait your going to be waiting forever because theirs always something new to come out

e8500 oc'ed
ati 4850/4870
4 gigs of ram would last a long time

vista is completely stable for games i have been using it since the beta's i dont know what people keep on complaining about

Thanks everyone. I've been around computers enough to know that you can't keep up with the technology or sit and wait. I was just curious because I have the itch to upgrade badly, plus my system is acting quirky and I saw that my framerates suck on MSFSX (made me depressed lol). I also plan to jump into the MMORPG genre again---> Star Trek Online and I'm watching APB

I was in Microcenter today looking at whats new. I noticed the HD4850 and was surprised at the price. I thought it would be over 300-400. The under 200 was very tempting (but If i buy it will be on newegg though). I was hearing that NVidia is the best video card.

So I can upgrade now and get a big bang for my buck if I went to E8500 (Im not an oc'er) and HD4850? I figure to get a new PSU also since it won't carry the new video card with the new rails and plugs that I hear. (I have the Thermaltake PurePower 500w *2 years old*) I have 4GB ddr2-675 (Corsair). Don't go with a Yorkfield processor?

There is this tower I like on newegg (full tower, side panel is see through, and gauges on the front that are impressive) also which is why I was going to do an overhaul including the soundcard ( I think it was discontinued).

This is the tower I was looking at and impressed with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

*I was thinking of getting a Green SATA hardrive (saves power) but I was looking to see if search time suffers or if Vista will make it suffer. Or I was also thinking of getting a WD Raptor
*Looking at the 9800x2 and ATI 4850
*Gigabyte mobo that supports yorkfield and wolfdale (been happy with Gigabyte but if someone steers me to another mobo, I'll look and listen)
*SATA DVD burner (my present IDE-DVD burner makes clicking sounds when I install a game). *Logitech 5.1 speakers (G51 or X-540) or the 2.1 speakers system (Z-2300), 2.1 (X-240)
*SB X-FI Titanium series PCI-E ( I think my XFI-XM is no longer sold)

I don't think I will be waiting till next spring or summer. Im dying to upgrade now or within the next few months.
August 4, 2008 3:47:06 AM

eklipz330 said:
you can always settle for something a little cheaper now, and save a bit for later right? maybe a slightly overclockable mobo, e7200, 4850? should run about $700 right? i dont kno, i wouldn't want to wait, i have no patience. to prove i have no patience, i have 2x 2900pros..lol SHADDAP

LoL. I have no patience also. I'll admit it now that I'm dying to upgrade now! I think by the end of the week I might make a wishlist. Look at what I wrote to cal8949. Does this look like I will wait till next spring or summer :) 
a c 127 à CPUs
August 4, 2008 4:28:27 AM

^The Green drives do tend to not run as fast but if anything you want to worry about your CPU and GPUs power usage as they are the 2 biggest things. HDDs are not as big and the Green models wont svae you as much as a good performance/watt CPU will.

As for the case I have a Apeiva case and all I can say is that they are cheap. Compared to my old Thermaltake Xaser III the case is like a tin can compared to aglass bottle. Not as stable. But its not as bad.

Although I like the Thermaltake Xaser VI much better. Its a dream case really.
August 4, 2008 11:50:37 PM

Thats why i was also looking into the 45nm Penryns over the Q6600. From what they said here, seems like a E8500/4850 or 4870. WOuld this be a good "patch" until Nehalem becomes affortable and readily available?

By the way I was surprised that no one had said to get a NVidia. Im puzzled, why is that?
!