Reinstalled xp on dell 4700 wireless network card not installed

wobbler

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Can anyone help please? i have just reinstalled xp on my dell 4700 but can now get no internet. i tried downlaoding the wireless network drivers from the dell website onto a usb stick and loading them but pc says it cant do this as the wireless network card is not installed. This was working fine before the reinstallation. Similarly, i can't get internet via the ethernet cable. Any help greatly appreciated please. thank you Chris

Restart and tap whichever key you need to go into Setup or BIOS - usually Delete or Function 2. Check in the various menus whether these two devices are enabled and if they aren't make sure they are before you save any changes and leave. Back in XP, check in Control panel>System>Hardware>Device manager to see that they show up in the list under Network Adapters and that they are enabled by Windows. If they have yellow marks, check why and try to load new drivers for teh wireless chip from your memory stick.

You can get teh ethernet driver and any other missing devices once you can go online.