Sign in with
Your question

Q8200&9800GTX+

Last response: in Overclocking
May 17, 2009 9:55:11 AM

I think ive read enough and im ready to try out OCing again. My last atempts a few years back didnt get me any noticably performance.

Im noticing my CPU is running very cool in the bios, so it got me thinking why not OC it.

The only problem is that im finding temperature monitors unstable, in the bios 29C-34C idle! I downloaded http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/CoreTemp32.zip and it reads the temp of each core, it says between 43C-56c idle.

Which is making me NOT wanna OC anymore. If I cant get accurate temps than im not gonna push my system or shorten its lifetime.

Can any of you suggest a solution to getting accurate temperature controls, and why my BIOS is lying ?

As for my GPU RIVATUNER seems like a common thing used to monitor temps/increase clocks, so I did some testing today with it. I noticed no temperature increases from increasing the clocks of the card up, I ran the hardware monitor as 3dmark 05 was up, and there isnt a difference from increasing clocks, to not increasing clocks. Why!? I also got a slightly lower score, but it usually varies between 100-200 anyway.

I currently stopped at these settings CORE = 765, SHADER = 1895, MEMORY = 1125

More about : q8200 9800gtx

May 17, 2009 10:14:59 AM

when viewing the temps in the bios, the stress on the computer is low, e.g. no complicated calculations of either the cpu nor the gpu, in fact, your computer is resting in idle state.
when running the os, both the cpu and gpu are calculations, thus making the temp go up.

the bottom line is, that the bios isn't lying to you, it is telling you the actual temp under that exact condition. if you could have seen the temps from within the bios when the os was running, the temps would have been almost an exact match.
a b K Overclocking
May 17, 2009 12:51:02 PM

firstly when you want to start overclocking get yourself aftermarket heatsink
please dont overclock with stock one its a pos
Related resources
May 18, 2009 2:30:28 AM

Ok well then perhaps forget about my CPU and focus on myy GPU temps/clocks.

Also I daggs, if I play some games, exit them, and see my CPU temps around 50-60c, then immedietly restart my computer shouldnt the temps be slightly higher than "idle".
May 18, 2009 3:13:54 AM

After searching the internet for your question, I believe the cpu temp you see in your bios is measured by the motherboard's sensor externally vs the core temp measures the temp in cpu core internally hence is higher.

More details are in this post.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=7137...
May 18, 2009 4:04:32 AM

stewgats said:
Ok well then perhaps forget about my CPU and focus on myy GPU temps/clocks.

Also I daggs, if I play some games, exit them, and see my CPU temps around 50-60c, then immedietly restart my computer shouldnt the temps be slightly higher than "idle".

it should be some degrees lower
May 18, 2009 4:07:07 AM

Its funny cuz in bios it says " CPU CORE "

Another things I realized is overclocking ram, I currently haave some 667 ddr2, and its probobly slowing me down alot.

Since theres no temperature controls on ram, is there a possibilty of damaging my mobo/CPU from upping the clock speeds of the ram ? Its pretty cheap ram, so i would love to push it to the limit.
May 18, 2009 9:10:03 PM

I managed to score only 200 3dmarks higher with this OC ratio Core = 835mhz, shader = 2046, memory = 1260.

The temperature barely went up, after I raised the fan speed to 80%.

So from 15k, to 15.2k thats not noticable at all when playing games. Keep in mind im using 3dmark 05!
May 19, 2009 11:35:36 PM

sooo, guys any ideas why im not getting much better results from such a high % of OC?

Also id like to know I should OC the vidcard and the processor together and run a benchmark. I dont want to damage my CPU, but is it really neccesary to upgrade heatsink when your doin an OC of no more than 5% ?

I really only want to OC my stuff once, run a 3d mark, get my score, and put everything back to factory settings.
May 28, 2009 10:07:17 PM

After pushing my CPU from 1334 to 1440 7x multiplier. and the ram from 667 to 740.

I managed to score an extra 1.1k in 3d mark 05!

The temps on the GPU dont go up much, especially when the fan is at 80%. It doenst go above 50c, the CPU however ive seen it spike in-between tests from 54c-69c and go back to 54c in the matter of 1 split second.
May 29, 2009 3:27:02 AM

Perhaps someone could show me a program like riva tuner that monitors CPU temperatures on a timeline while im benchmarking.

The highest ive been is 1440 CPU, and ram 740 (stock 667).

When I put the ram to 760, I had to reset cmos. It mustve over-clocked..or needs more voltage...

Id like to push the CPU higher, only if temperatures stay in reasonable range while benchmarking. Thus, I need a good backround monitoring temps.
!