video card adequat?

August 19, 2005 7:28:52 PM

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me help my friend... she just bought
a compaq webcam and it's display is very bad.. sort of purple and jerky, I
suggested to her she might need more ram or a better video card.. she just
ran belarc and from what I could tell she has a decent computer.. a good
processor and enough hard drive. but I am not sure about the video card.. is
what you see here an adequat video card.. is it a stand alone or onboard?
Also I thought her ram might be insufficient.. she does not do any graphic
work to speak of.. so it might be ok... any input about the video card.. is
it adequat or should she take back her compaq webcam? thanks for any
input.. rainy
Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Myhome (in WORKGROUP)
Profile Date: Friday, August 19, 2005 10:38:49 AM
Advisor Version: 7.0t
Windows Logon: Sue

Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and
small companies.

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) ALC Open ALC
Open Custom PC
System Serial Number: 12 4
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: AOpen AX45F-4DN
918A410201
Serial Number: I0600093JE57
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix/Award Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 12/02/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
80.20 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
67.54 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y257XQEE, rev
YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy 256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 256 MB
Slot 'A4' is Empty
Slot 'A3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.20 GB 67.54 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Sue 8/19/2005 8:53:09 AM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
ASPNET never
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Lexmark 3200
Color Jetprinter on LPT1:
Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
[Display adapter]
LGE T910BU [Monitor] (17.7"vis, February 2004)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)
SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller MPU-401 Compatible MIDI
Device
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Standard Game Port
Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device

begin 666 trans.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

begin 666 no.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`( ``/\``/___R'Y! ``````+ `````*``H```(4C(\!@&O+
0E'MPGIJDI9A[V43940``.P``
`
end

begin 666 lock.gif
M1TE&.#=A#0`*`'<!`"'^&E-O9G1W87)E.B!-:6-R;W-O9G0@3V9F:6-E`"P`
M````#0`*`(,```" ````@ " @ ```(" `( `@(" @(# P,#_````_P#__P``
M`/__`/\`______\$(_#)0*6]`>AP;;8`UVD@T%%HBB5LFXA3"[3P$\CTZK)U
%ZE\1`#L`
`
end

More about : video card adequat

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2005 7:28:53 PM

Rainy

Streaming video takes its toll of many a good system.. some webcams are
better than others too.. integrated video is not the best option if video
performance is important.. an important factor is lighting re. the purple
effect..

Take a look here at what is said about the Compaq model..

http://www.nextag.com/compaq-webcam/search-html

And this website covers a Logitech model..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HMP...

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> local user accounts last logon
> Sue 8/19/2005 8:53:09 AM (admin)
> local system accounts
> Administrator never (admin)
> ASPNET never
> Guest never
> HelpAssistant never
> SUPPORT_388945a0 never
>

> Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Lexmark 3200
> Color Jetprinter on LPT1:
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
>
> Controllers Display
> Standard floppy disk controller
> Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
> Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
> SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
> [Display adapter]
> LGE T910BU [Monitor] (17.7"vis, February 2004)
> Bus Adapters Multimedia
> SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)
> SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller MPU-401 Compatible MIDI

August 19, 2005 8:36:23 PM

Hi Mike,
Unless I have missed somethng which is likely..:)  I don't know what it is
you wanted to show me on the link..looks like a website devoted to selling
the products..compaq webcam being one of them...are you telling me that her
video card is part of the motherboard, "integrated" what do you suggest she
look for in the way of a new webcam? or are you suggesting an upgrade to her
computer? thanks rainy
news:o 667ulNpFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> local user accounts last logon
>> Sue 8/19/2005 8:53:09 AM (admin)
>> local system accounts
>> Administrator never (admin)
>> ASPNET never
>> Guest never
>> HelpAssistant never
>> SUPPORT_388945a0 never
>>

>> Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Lexmark 3200
>> Color Jetprinter on LPT1:
>> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
>>
>> Controllers Display
>> Standard floppy disk controller
>> Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
>> Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
>> SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
>> [Display adapter]
>> LGE T910BU [Monitor] (17.7"vis, February 2004)
>> Bus Adapters Multimedia
>> SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)
>> SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller MPU-401 Compatible MIDI

August 19, 2005 8:36:24 PM

Rainy

Both links had user reviews and ratings on them..

Re. the video card issue, the specs given suggest an integrated video card..
they are simply not the best, but ok for general stuff.. as stated also,
some webcams are better than others..

The system has only 256mb RAM which is not enough.. to run general tasks, XP
is good with 512mb, and better with more.. increasing the memory would help
greatly, probably more so than a new video card, $ for $..

Other factors that affect webcam performance are processes running in the
background like anti-virus program schedules, MS Anti-Spyware, Diskeeper
Defragmenter schedules, third party clock programs etc..

A major player in XP performance stakes is the XP theme.. changing to
'Classic' mode may be old fashioned, but you will be surprised by the speed
increase..

--

> [...]
>>> Sue 8/19/2005 8:53:09 AM (admin)
>>> local system accounts
>>> Administrator never (admin)
>>> ASPNET never
>>> Guest never
>>> HelpAssistant never
>>> SUPPORT_388945a0 never
>>>

>>> Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Lexmark
>>> 3200
>>> Color Jetprinter on LPT1:
>>> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
>>>
>>> Controllers Display
>>> Standard floppy disk controller
>>> Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
>>> Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
>>> SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
>>> [Display adapter]
>>> LGE T910BU [Monitor] (17.7"vis, February 2004)
>>> Bus Adapters Multimedia
>>> SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)
>>> SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller MPU-401 Compatible MIDI

August 19, 2005 10:01:35 PM

thank you so much, I think we can help her with this information... I sure
didn't see any reviews and ratings, but that's ok.. I will go back and poke
around on the site... you have really helped me to help her.. thanks again!!
much appreciated.. Rainy :)
> Rainy
>
> Both links had user reviews and ratings on them..
>
> Re. the video card issue, the specs given suggest an integrated video
> card.. they are simply not the best, but ok for general stuff.. as stated
> also, some webcams are better than others..
>
> The system has only 256mb RAM which is not enough.. to run general tasks,
> XP is good with 512mb, and better with more.. increasing the memory would
> help greatly, probably more so than a new video card, $ for $..
>
> Other factors that affect webcam performance are processes running in the
> background like anti-virus program schedules, MS Anti-Spyware, Diskeeper
> Defragmenter schedules, third party clock programs etc..
>
> A major player in XP performance stakes is the XP theme.. changing to
> 'Classic' mode may be old fashioned, but you will be surprised by the
> speed increase..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Mike,
>> Unless I have missed somethng which is likely..:)  I don't know what it is
>> you wanted to show me on the link..looks like a website devoted to
>> selling
>> the products..compaq webcam being one of them...are you telling me that
>> her video card is part of the motherboard, "integrated" what do you
>> suggest she look for in the way of a new webcam? or are you suggesting an
>> upgrade to her computer? thanks rainy
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> news:o 667ulNpFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Rainy
>>>
>>> Streaming video takes its toll of many a good system.. some webcams are
>>> better than others too.. integrated video is not the best option if
>>> video
>>> performance is important.. an important factor is lighting re. the
>>> purple
>>> effect..
>>>
>>> Take a look here at what is said about the Compaq model..
>>>
>>> http://www.nextag.com/compaq-webcam/search-html
>>>
>>> And this website covers a Logitech model..
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006HMP...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>>

>>> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message

August 19, 2005 11:10:47 PM

> [...]
>> local user accounts last logon
>> Sue 8/19/2005 8:53:09 AM (admin)
>> local system accounts
>> Administrator never (admin)
>> ASPNET never
>> Guest never
>> HelpAssistant never
>> SUPPORT_388945a0 never
>>

>> Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account Lexmark 3200
>> Color Jetprinter on LPT1:
>> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
>>
>> Controllers Display
>> Standard floppy disk controller
>> Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
>> Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
>> SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
>> [Display adapter]
>> LGE T910BU [Monitor] (17.7"vis, February 2004)
>> Bus Adapters Multimedia
>> SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)
>> SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller MPU-401 Compatible MIDI

Isn't this an AGP card?
One problem may be that the bus speed is quite slow.
It will work much better with more memory.
Jim
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2005 2:12:29 AM

Rainy

You're welcome..

--

> thank you so much, I think we can help her with this information... I sure
> didn't see any reviews and ratings, but that's ok.. I will go back and
> poke around on the site... you have really helped me to help her.. thanks
> again!! much appreciated.. Rainy :)
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Rainy
>>
>> Both links had user reviews and ratings on them..
>>
>> Re. the video card issue, the specs given suggest an integrated video
>> card.. they are simply not the best, but ok for general stuff.. as stated
>> also, some webcams are better than others..
>>
>> The system has only 256mb RAM which is not enough.. to run general tasks,
>> XP is good with 512mb, and better with more.. increasing the memory would
>> help greatly, probably more so than a new video card, $ for $..
>>
>> Other factors that affect webcam performance are processes running in the
>> background like anti-virus program schedules, MS Anti-Spyware, Diskeeper
>> Defragmenter schedules, third party clock programs etc..
>>
>> A major player in XP performance stakes is the XP theme.. changing to
>> 'Classic' mode may be old fashioned, but you will be surprised by the
>> speed increase..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi Mike,
>>> Unless I have missed somethng which is likely..:)  I don't know what it
>>> is
>>> you wanted to show me on the link..looks like a website devoted to
>>> selling
>>> the products..compaq webcam being one of them...are you telling me that
>>> her video card is part of the motherboard, "integrated" what do you
>>> suggest she look for in the way of a new webcam? or are you suggesting
>>> an upgrade to her computer? thanks rainy
>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> news:o 667ulNpFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2005 2:41:11 AM

Try this: Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot/... Reduce
Hardware acceleration and Uncheck "Enable write combining."
Michael
!