Sign in with
Your question

500gb harddisk shows only 131062 mb space only

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 9, 2009 4:53:56 AM

my 500gb harddisk shows only 131062 mb space only on creating for a new os setting

More about : 500gb harddisk shows 131062 space

a b G Storage
October 9, 2009 2:15:03 PM

To enable the computer to recognize this capacity,you should ensure that the operating system supports LBA48. For Windows systems, it is from Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and Windows XP Service Pack 1.

Slipstream SP-3 on your XP CD, if applicable.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 9, 2009 2:17:18 PM

Windows XP RTM is 8 years old, its not a "new os". A new OS would be Windows 7.

So you need something more modern to make it recognise your disk properly.
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2009 9:53:42 PM

But this time I regret having to disagree with Sub Mesa. W2k sp3 and Xp sp1 both access disks up to 2TiB. The 128GiB limit strictly comes from EnableBigLba which is easily enabled once Sp3 or Sp1 is in place:
http://www.48bitlba.com/index.htm

If the installation Cd doesn't include the right Sp, either
- Install Win on a smaller volume (a good idea anyway), then Sp and EnableBigLba, and create more volumes;
- HfSlip it in your Cd (as well a good idea), which allows to include EnableBigLba also right from the beginning;
- Slipstream it and tweak EnableBigLba in the installation registry

Notice that older Windows 95b-95c-98-98se-Me all access disks >128GiB properly, provided that the mobo's Bios or the added host controller or the host driver (noticeably Intel Application Accelerator) can do it. These older Windows completely ignore the limit. I could install and boot easily W95b from a 160GB raid-0 with a RocketRaid100 host added on Pci.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 9, 2009 11:10:06 PM

Well he obviously doesn't have XP SP1 or 2k SP3, else he wouldn't have this problem. Hence; his OS is old. Since he was trying a new install; he can't just download SP1 or SP3 and get done with it; he needs a new installation medium.

About older Windows 98-family supporting large disks, well that surprises me. Though i guess they just hand off whatever code is responsible for doing ATA communication to the third-party drivers. I'm speculating here, but i can imagine Windows NT-family being more strict about hardware and gives less control out of the hands of the OS. Said that, i'm just a newbie whenever windows is concerned. :) 
m
l
!