E8500 Dual core Issue.

shaneire

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I'm a bit confused as to why CPU-Z and other benchmarking utilities are showing my CPU as a Single Core.

I may be asking a stupid question but shouldn't my CPU have two cores/processors?

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Since you have it overclocked and not enough voltage is why it is doing this... Need to add a little voltage to it...

Mondoman

Splendid
Also, did you install Windows with the system as it is now, or on a previous setup? Windows may have gotten setup for a generic single-core CPU, in which case all programs running under Windows will see only 1 core.

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Another thing i for got to add I had this happen when i was over clocking my Q6600. It might boot into windows and be prime95 stable but would not show but 2 cores till i upped voltage by .05 or .1.. So try this and see what happens..

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Looks like the wrong HAL is installed on the windows platform.

Also, if memory serves, having the ACPI disabled in the bios when windows was install can cause that problem.

I went from a single core to a single core with HT with no problems, or in other words, I didn't have to re-install the system for it to see the fake 2nd core for the HT.

Edit:

Fish would get thirsty if they like really spicy chilli. :oops:

shaneire

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Yeah that may be it, and as for the comment about 'only noticing now' its literally a brand new CPU.
I just built myself a PC during the week.

I 'downgraded' from VISTA back to XP which may be causing problems.

Im using ASUS P5Q premium mobo, 4GB PC6400 ram(only 3 actually, damn 32bit) 2x HD4870s in Crossfire and XP 32bit.

Im going go mess around in BIOS in a min, but could very well be the HAL yoke.

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
I had the same problem once with W2K going from a single core 3000+ to a 3600+ X2 and I just went into device manager, went to update driver and chose which one to install. IIRC you go to where you want to install manually and go to have disk. It will then give you 2 options or so. One say something like multi processor or whatever. You will probably be able to tell once you see it.