Tduck

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I feel ashamed that my first post is to ask for help. I searched the forum but couldnt find the answer.

I recently built PC with specs like this : :sweat:
Intel Q6600 + Intel DP35DP mobo
Antec True Power Trio 550W
VGA MSI NX8500GT-TD512EH RT
CPU COOLER THERMALTAKE|CL-P0401
DVD BURN ASUS|DRW-2014L1T LS SATA
MEM 2Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P8004

I installed Vista on this PC, everything works fine until I read the OCZ memory instruction saying that I MUST manually set the memory speed from 677MHz to 800MHz. Okay, so I went ahead and did that then power on the PC, nothing happened, the comp started to reboot repeatedly. To make long story short, I attempted to reset Bios figuration on mobo

Jumper config ?!
1+2: normal
2+3: configuration
none: recovery

I took the jumper out, power on, it's still the same :whistle:
I plugged the jumper back in at 2+3, power on, the part between the jumper and the battery caught on fire.
My question is :What did I do wrong ? ( this may sound like a stupid question to you but hey..)
did I also destroy the processor ?? Can anyone suggest what should I do with this comp now ? :(

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
your not supposed to try to power on when clearing CMOS....that was your mistake idk if you fried it but that was the mistake you made. your processor is fine but you may need a new board.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Alright i had the same kind of trouble supposedly my mobo was never made to accept 2.1V memory and well you can guess what i had i tried clearing C-mos tryed getting back into BIOS nothing anyway i powered my computer on with out the Cmos battary in the computer then left it sitting out of the computer with the computer unplugged for hours while i was at work the new memory came i put it in and Volia my computer was alive again i powered down put my other ( yes the 2.1V memory in and again it worked just fine and i've been useing it for months but again my motehrboard does not aupport 2.1V memory now i have 4Gb memory sitting on a shelf above my computer doing nothing i would be Surprised if your motherboard is dead i mean i did the same thing you did and more to it and mine i still alive

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Ok you know in that section of the manual where you were reading about the jumper settings...Okay that was supposed to be done with no power.

When you switch the jumper to reset the bios to defaults, you move it to your boards reset position, let it sit for a few seconds, then you put it back to the original position. The board is not supposed to be powered on in any way unless the jumper is in the original correct jumper position.

By leaving it on the clear CMOS jumper setting, and powering on the system you allowed uncontrolled current to travel through your motherboards Bios Chip, ( i.e where the settings are stored) and you fried it. That would explain why you smelt the burning smell and saw the smoke you described.

As far as what parts are good, most likely your ram and Processor are fine, but you will not know for sure unless you plug them into another motherboard and find out.. I would bet 100.00 dollars that your Motherboard is ruined however, and you should probably start shopping for another one.

In the future just remember that you never power on the system unless the CMOS jumper is installed on the 1+2 pins. This is a perfect example of why they call this an expensive hobby, and it's another reason why I laugh when I hear people say they are putting a computer together for the first time with no one there to help them or provide guidance in any way.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
oh yeah forgot to mention dont leave the power on haha.

to dragon: Well the process is covered in most motherboard manuals. The Manuals pretty much tell you how to build a computer.

chechnyan

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
yep the board is died
but you may still have a chance
search for some place a computer maintenance, store,etc or something
they may offer a bios chip replace for a cheap price
.and there is a chance too that the bios chip(cmos) is not completely damaged but the surface plastic was smoking (maybe)
in that case they may try to reinstall the software in the chip
they use a special device for that , wish i have one of thous

GooSe_AUS

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
The fact that you saw a mini fire suggests to me that it has burnt a track between the jumper block and battery and if that is the case Intel does not warranty physically damaged items, howveer if all you saw was a spark then there could still be life yet. I would definately check your rams voltage requirements as the intel boards only take the standard 1.8v.

The Intel boards can be powered up regardless of the jumper position. 1+2: normal operation, 2+3: configuration options forces you directly into the bios to configure, none: recovery recovery is done from an ISO cd or floppy disk image provided form intels website. You do not switch the jumper around whilst the machine is on i am not sure if thats what you have done. Most Intel boards are extremly hardy and can take a lot before failing i have even seen a customer who has burnt his entire fan header track off the board and it continues to function. If i was in your position this is what i would do, Step 1 remove the power from the computer. Step 2 remove the cmos battery for 15 minutes Step 3 place the jumper on 1+2. Step 4 put the cmos battery in, re apply power to the system and see if it posts. If you notice that you get no screen turn the system off and remove power to the system. Take the jumper completly off and then reapply power and see if it tries to access the cdrom even though it is not posting. If it does then the board is still functioning it is looking for a recovery bios to reflash the board. Download the latest recovery bios form intels website and burn the iso to a cd and give it ago. If all is successful the unit will read from the cd flash the bios restart the system and it will post without the jumper on and tell you the bios flash was successful and that if you used the recovery jumper to power down the system replace the jumper to normal operation.
It is not like you have anything to loose at this stage so following my suggestions wont hurt.

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
TO: teh_boxzor

Can't you see that grown folks are talking???

Go back to reading your manual...since it "pretty much tells you how to build a computer". I've been building computers for 15 years, 12 of those professionally, and I just gotta say this>>

Your manual comment is the stupidest thing I've ever read. There are tons of situational experiences that pop up that manuals can't explain, and there are many more problems that are solved by research and trial and error, not by reading the manual. I've got 5 motherboard manuals in the room I'm sitting in , and not one of them gives me detailed step by step instructions on how to build a computer.

So in closing: There is an old saying and it goes like this>> "Better to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

You should learn to live by these words.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I've been through two motherboards since I started building my own systems about 2 and a half years ago, and with both of them I always turned on the computer with the pins in the reset position. I'm not saying that any of you are wrong, just that it isn't always disastrous when you do this, and also it's good that I now know this....

But I would say that if it won't power on, you can test it with other ram to see if that does anything, and if not, then I would say it's most likely dead and all you can do is rma it.

GooSe_AUS

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
To: dragoncyber

Wise words for many people including yourself and myself.
In a professional industry it is best to give less information that is relative to the subject but accurate then a lot of general information that is based on something that may be different. I am refering to "By leaving it on the clear CMOS jumper setting, and powering on the system you allowed uncontrolled current to travel through your motherboards Bios Chip, ( i.e where the settings are stored) and you fried it. That would explain why you smelt the burning smell and saw the smoke you described."
The intel boards do not have a reset jumper and also have a mode for when there is no jumper so this information is irrelevant.

Now i will leave you with my own quote
" A wise man speaks facts, asks questions and listens twice as much as he speaks "
If you live by these words you will become the person who is refered to by many people as a knowledgable person whos information can be guranteed. ( Guru )

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
good for your 15 years of experience in building computers dragon but just reading the manual will show you where to place jumper pins how to install the cpu how to install and handle RAM how to protect against static electricity, where certain components should be plugged in on the motherboard, hell mine even shows me how to setup raid 0, 1, and 1+5. only thing it doesn't tell me is where to place the psu and how to install the OS.

You must've bought a cheap motherboard that came with a crappy manual...

Tduck

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Thank you everyone for the replies.
Well, I meant to say "power up". I thought I did turn off the computer, now, Im not even sure anymore... I bought this (processor and mobo bundle) from Microcenter. It came with NOTHING ( no manuals) but 2 fliers and 1 floppy disk ( mobo driver) + I/O shield....:(
This is not my first comp I try to built. I built 2 AMD PCs before,never had any problems.

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
WOW that was nice helpful words of wisdom. A wiseman said i would be a fool to say i know it all

squiZZ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I've done the same thing on accident, put a jumper on the clear cmos setting forgot about it and booted it up. Nothing happened so i just changed it back and voila. This was on a recent amd build however. So Where is the current traveling through jumper frying everything nonsense coming from?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I don't believe that you caused the fire with the strapping. I don't know what happened because I wasn't there. As said, there are no strap positions that would cause a fire, or even damage. Contrary to some comments, always get the manual and read it thoroughly before proceeding, all mobos have their peculiarities. I understand they didn't give you any documentation and you should give them a call and feed them a ration of crap for that, because it is inexcusable. However, the same way you are posting here you can get all of the information you need on the Intel® DP35DP, so it's not like you had no alternative.

Take the mobo out and assess the damage. Depending on your funds, and the level of the damage, you will probably want to get a new cheap Gigabyte P35-DS3 etc. Your CPU and RAM are probably good, but there is no way anyone here can guarantee that, because no one knows what really caused the fire.

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
TO: teh-boxzor

Maybe the OP's manual will help him fix this problem right??
Or wait...maybe he's on Tom's asking for help because...OMG...the manual doesn't have the answer......for this...(situation).

I rest my case.

Intel motherboards usually have a 3 year warranty. You could contact Intel and tell them that your PC no longer boots. Once all their proposed solutions fail, they will probably accept to RMA the defective motherboard, but you'll be without that PC for a couple weeks.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

OP doesnt have the manual...or else he wouldve read it before resetting the CMOS.

+1 for your reading skills dragon.