Hard drive shows up in start up but not in windows

lasaboteur

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
so i have 3 hard drives 2 are raid 0 and the 3rd is just a extra storage drive. anyway i turned off my PC last night turn it on this morning and my extra hard drive's not showing up in window but in boot up it's showing up just fine and it's just fine in my raid controller on boot up.
also if i go into administrative tool and go to computer management and under storage/disk management it shows disk 0 (my raided drive) and says basic, shows the GB's and says online, and then under that it has disk 1 (my extra) unknown, shows the GB's and says not initialized and next to that it show the GB's and say unallocated.
i've never seen this before where it's showing up on start up and everything just fine but not in windows, unless i go to the disk management, so i'm lost on this one any help would be great, everything that's important is on that extra drive =(

also i'm running windows vista and all the hard drive's are Sata

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do what evongugg says. It appears your drive somehow has lost or corrupted the Partition Table. If you are lucky, manufacturer diagnostics will tell you there is nothing wrong with the unit from a hardware view, and then Partition Recovery software will be able to find and fix its software issue to restore it.

lasaboteur

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
well i tried all of that i couldn't scan or do any fix's updates or anything, i couldn't even use the ID program to find out the serial number, it would just give me errors. using the windows admin tools i got it up pick up the hard drive again but it wouldn't let me do anything to it other then reformat and i'm doing that now.

i did find out that alot of other people have been having trouble with this hard drive, it's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM. i'm thinking i'll just have to scrap this one seeing as even if the reformat lets me use it again i don't trust it

thanks for the help anyway guys, 460GB of stuff down the drain :heink:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Before you go any further, don't do anything after your Format. Start checking into some of the recent problems of Seagates. There was a certain group of models - maybe yours - that had a design flaw that Seagate has found a fix for. Moreover they were offering some data recovery assistance to their customers if their problems really were caused by Seagate and the drive is still under warranty. So check the details and talk to Seagate Tech Support in case you're a lucky one they can and will help.

lasaboteur

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
yeah i'm going to try the update on it, from what i'm seeing everyone's having problems with just about all there hard drives heh. it also looks like dealing with there costumer service isn't worth the trouble.
it's what i get for getting something other the WD, i don't think i've ever had a problem with them

haoshu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
There was a certain group of models - maybe yours - that had a design flaw that Seagate has found a fix for. Moreover they were offering some data recovery assistance to their customers if their problems really were caused by Seagate and the hard drive is still under warranty.