Sign in with
Your question

Vista Ult Install, Blue screen Problems

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2008 10:59:53 AM

Hello there!
Im getting frustrated with getting my computer to work, Cause it keeps blue screening.

What i did-
Copied all files to Primary harddrive in winxpx64. Rebooted, booted from cd rom drive to continue the install... Go through that and add cd key and pick primary drive to install vista on. Then it Expands all the files and finishes up the "dos" like install. Then its finished and reboots and the vista loading bar pops up and it blue screens during the operating system boot.

Settings-
Harddrive is set to first booting harddrive
Cdrom is first device to boot from
No overclocks
Raid Disabled
Ram @2.2v

Specs-
2.4ghz Quad core
2x2gb ram ocz gold
4x74gb Raptors
Asus Motherboard
BFG 8800ultra
Innovatek liquid cooled.

If anyone has any idea please let me know :) 
June 15, 2008 1:58:18 PM

The 1st thing to do for a new build is to stress test it. memtest 1st, orthos x2 2nd, 3dmark/pcmark if need be. 8 hours each. No joke.

Unless you're 100% sure your pc is stable, you don't install os'es.
June 15, 2008 2:39:19 PM

OK, number 1.

I would run memtest86, but sort of hard to run the other programs akhilles mentions without an OS installed. I would, however, run diags on your hard drive and make sure your not bumping up against some bad sectors.

my question would be, what Asus motherboard are you running? what type of optical drive and so forth. Really hard to give you an answer without having exact specs on your new system.

I have seen a BSOD during vista installs many times in my job and have found that some combinations of Nvidia chipsets and SATA optical drives can cause this.

Just a shot in the dark without knowing what you have.
Related resources
June 15, 2008 2:58:06 PM

No its not. You boot them from a CD The cd provides the Linux OS required to run them. Look at this:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

He also meant test in Win X64 BEFORE you go to Vista. However, the link I linked you to contains Memtest, a CPU tester, and other great stuff. No DIYer should be without one.

Also, I have hunch that Memtest will find errors because are describing what seems to be a classic case of bad RAM.
June 15, 2008 3:16:00 PM

Try to raise voltages for memory to 2.1V if they are not already, and then for everything else a bit. I could not install vista before raising all of voltages a bit even so PC was running Xp just fine with stock voltages without problems. After raising voltages install went fine and pc has been running fully stable over a year now with vista
June 15, 2008 9:05:59 PM

modmandan said:
OK, number 1.

I would run memtest86, but sort of hard to run the other programs akhilles mentions without an OS installed. I would, however, run diags on your hard drive and make sure your not bumping up against some bad sectors.

my question would be, what Asus motherboard are you running? what type of optical drive and so forth. Really hard to give you an answer without having exact specs on your new system.

I have seen a BSOD during vista installs many times in my job and have found that some combinations of Nvidia chipsets and SATA optical drives can cause this.

Just a shot in the dark without knowing what you have.

Yeah here is more exact specs, neweggs invoice list was down last night.

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 C55+MCP55P; a.k.a. nForce 650i SLI & nForce 570 SLI

BFG Tech BFGE88768UWCE GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

4x Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB
June 15, 2008 9:13:50 PM

shadowduck said:
No its not. You boot them from a CD The cd provides the Linux OS required to run them. Look at this:

He also meant test in Win X64 BEFORE you go to Vista. However, the link I linked you to contains Memtest, a CPU tester, and other great stuff. No DIYer should be without one.

Also, I have hunch that Memtest will find errors because are describing what seems to be a classic case of bad RAM.

Alright im downloading that ultimate boot cd and running it tonight after work with memtest.

Just heads up, i never ran memtest but i did prime95 both cpu and the memory test "torture" and i didnt get any errors (40min) that was in xp x64.
June 16, 2008 11:36:59 PM

shadowduck said:

I stand corrected on this issue..Thanks for pointing that out !!

However. I would suspect that if you attempt to install Vista with an IDE optical, that you may find that BSOD no more. There are posts all over the place about folks having issues with SATA CD drives on a Nvidia chipset.

I have personally had this issue myself on either a 680i and 750 boards and the problem was solved by simply going to IDE with the CD drive.
June 17, 2008 9:30:29 AM

Yeah i ran that ultimate boot cd.
Memtest : Passed 3 times
Harddrive sector scanner: passed
Cpu Stress Test: Passed

So yeah im picking up a IDE Dvd drive tomorrow from friend and ill let you guys know how that goes.

*Quick question is it alright to go back to the sata after the vista install? *

Thanks ahead of time for ur support and help its much appreciated, sense ive helped people many times also in the passed. :) 
June 17, 2008 10:46:18 PM

shata said:

*Quick question is it alright to go back to the sata after the vista install? *
:) 

In my experience...no, your system will blue screen during bootup if this is your issue. It's unfortunate that Nvidia has not been able to correct this problem. I can remember when the first 680i boards came out and they had similar issues with SATA hard drives...what a shame. :( 

June 18, 2008 10:22:57 AM

Yupp Confirmed, This Motherboard and this Dvd-rw are not compatible for install or booting vista after the install using a IDE drive.

Hardware:
SAMSUNG SATA Black 20X DVD+RW - Model: SH-S203N
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus (newest bios flashed also as of 6/17/08)

Thanks again for all the help, just figured i would clear this up in the last post for other peoples reference purposes.
:bounce: 
June 18, 2008 1:35:36 PM

shata said:
Yupp Confirmed, This Motherboard and this Dvd-rw are not compatible for install or booting vista after the install using a IDE drive.

Hardware:
SAMSUNG SATA Black 20X DVD+RW - Model: SH-S203N
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus (newest bios flashed also as of 6/17/08)

Thanks again for all the help, just figured i would clear this up in the last post for other peoples reference purposes.
:bounce: 

Glad to be of help and that you got it up and running!

You would think that Nvidia would have come up with some other solution to this problem instead of having to use and old legacy IDE optical to "patch" the problem.
June 18, 2008 3:39:14 PM

This thread should be referenced every time some new user wants to go SLI with a craptacular nVidia chipset. Case in point on why not to.

Sorry about your problems though MoDmAnDaN.
June 18, 2008 8:38:17 PM

What beats me is this dvd drive won the Customer choice award on newegg like twice lol. Maybe this motherboard is just **** :p 
June 19, 2008 2:25:37 PM

shata said:
What beats me is this dvd drive won the Customer choice award on newegg like twice lol. Maybe this motherboard is just **** :p 

I read some reviews on it and yeah, looks like a great drive! I know it would work great on any Intel chipset board, it's just the Nvidia chipset that's the issue. Don't get me wrong here, I love the Nvidia chipsets for overclocking and they are stable once the system is running good.
June 21, 2008 9:17:25 PM

Thanks! I removed my Blu Ray sata drive, put in my old IDE DVD drive and removed 2 of my 4gb of RAM and no more BSOD :cry: 

Thanks for helping!

Btw it was a 780i board...
!