Strange problem with USB Microphone

deusdeus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I recently snapped off the microphone-end of the line on my Plantronics headset, so instead of getting a whole new headset, I decided to get a Logitech USB Desktop Microphone.

I have a custom build PC that I had built last October which has a Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo that has like 8 or 10 USB ports and runs Vista Home Prem. 64-bit. No matter which USB port I plug the mic into, and record myself using Windows Sound Recorder, I get crackling in the background.

I thought it might be the unit so I exchanged it for another and still the same thing.

Then I plugged it into a laptop running Vista Home 32-bit and it works just fine.

I thought it might be something interfering with it, like the wireless mouse or speakers or something, so I brought the laptop to the location of the desktop, and put the mic in the same environment, and it still works fine on the laptop.

I've tried leaving nothing else (USB-based) besides the mic plugged in the desktop and still get crackling.

Obviously all the other devices work just fine (wireless mouse, keyboard, mp3 cable, joystick) with the USB ports, but the mic doesn't.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

deusdeus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
No driver from logitech. Apparently it uses USB audio drivers built into the OS by Microsoft.

I guess the USB chipset is acting as the audio device, not the Realtek onboard sound.

deusdeus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Yes it does record sound, just with crackling the background. People on Ventrillo and Skype say its O.K. sometimes, sometimes its just too bad.

strange. I wonder if there is some kind of XP 64 glitch with USB audio.

in the Recording devices -> (Your item name here) -> Configure. Is there any options you can change? Also make sure that its set as default.

I have not recorded in vista yet so i have not had a chance to play with its recording yet.

Either way it if will not work, it may be best to take it back and get a standard mic. I had one that had a hum on creative cards but not onboard cards(worst of all it was a creative headset)

deusdeus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Yeah, I've checked those options. It is set as default, and the only settings to mess with are the levels (which are cranked up) and the quality of the recording (It was on CD quality, just tried it on DVD quality...still no difference).

I'm pretty sure a standard 3.5mm plug mic will work as it did on my headset. If I absolutely can't get this USB thing working then I probably will end up getting the standard one. Just tired of the 3.5mm plugs getting worn out/snapping off.

Get an extension cable and plug in in the back mic(this should not get hit often) port then you wear out a cheap extension cable and not your card. It should also it less likely to snap since it will not be hard mounted to a case(the extension cable can just hang there) that way.

Do be aware in some cases with an extension cable hitting the mute switch on a mic it self will cause a buzzing noise to be herd by other players(there is not a way to tell as it seems to be different with different sound cards and mics, but hey the cables can be bought at the dollar store, so its not a big loss).

deusdeus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Thanks for your suggestions nukemaster.

I installed Vista Service Pack 1 and that seems to have solved the issue! 8) For some reason Windows Update never automatically installed SP1 on my PC. Had to manually d/l and install it. But all's good now, thanks again!

deusdeus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Sure.

MOBO - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Proc - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Memory - 4GB Crucial Ballistix
Video - XFX Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB
HD - Western Digital 500 GB

Built Oct/Nov of 2007.

Anything else I'm missing?

Similar to mine, but for some reason it(my 8800GTX) does not like running any games in a window that switch the desktop to 16-bit color(if i switch it my self its fine).

Tried my X1900XT and it works perfect(so far). Heard somewhere that Nvidia drivers may not like lots of ram, so i am still testing it out(will take out 4 gigs and see).

Also oddly enough Quake(the first one[winquake]) runs a fair bit better with the X1900XT. Picking up items actually slows down the game(come on, games made for a 486 - Pentium 1's)

Its all in testing still.

anyway, thanks for your system specs.