Bios doesn't detect hard drive

puzzlesource

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
So I have an MSI MS-7093 mobo and I've had it for about 2 years. My HDD is a Seagate Barracude 7200.8 SATA drive. All of a sudden, out of the blue, during boot it'd say "Disk Boot Failure. Enter System Disk and press enter." So I started about troubleshooting the problem. The first thing I did was to unplug and replug my entire system back together, that didn't do anything. But I kept trying and eventually it booted up fine. Now this was all fine until I had to shutdown again, at which point it would give me the same "disk boot failure" error. I figured it might be the SATA cable and so I went and got new SATA cables...still no luck. On a whim, I decided to unplug the power from my dvd drives and lo and behold, it booted up.

Now this was all fine until later on in the day when the system hung and eventually crashed. Any reboot would result in the same "disk boot error" At this point I figure it's the hard drive and so I go out and get a new hard drive, but my BIOS still doesn't see the new hard drive (Samsung HD502IJ). I've tried it on 3 different SATA cables. The only thing I haven't replaced is my mobo and the PSU. Should I replace the PSU? I can hear the drive(s) spinning up during boot and I see the HDD activity light come on during that time. How should I proceed from here on in? This is really annoying me. Any help would be appreciated

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Unplug power cord, clear cmos, unplug the harddisk data cable, wait 10 mins, hook everything back up, load bios default.

At the end of POST, it MUST say:

verifying DMI pool data......... update success

Anything else may render your harddisk unbootable.

G

Got the exact same problem, had my previous hdd replaced (about one month old at the time of "death"). And now, about 3 weeks later the same problem, so I sure hope that that unplug, clear, wash, rinse and repeat works 'cause otherwise it's another few days of installing vista and everything again..

If it won't help i'm gonna go make a scene at the shop and get something else than Seagate for replacement.