Hey guys,

I'm building a HTPC using some old parts and buying some new parts. I got a case picked out. All i need is a motherboard and just looking for other peoples opinions on a good motherboard. It has to be a micro-ATX and the max supported size is 9.6 x 9.6.

1) CPU is my left over Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4ghz
2) RAM is the left over 2GB DDR2 675
3) Optical drive is my left over dvd burner IDE
4) I have a left over video card 7300 LE and a 7900GT - Don't think I'll use them.

5) Here's my case I picked out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129034

6) I did pick out a motherboard opinions welcomed. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131229

7) Hard drives will be my old Seagate 320gb and a 500gb and a 750gb via eSata (I only buy Seagate drives). I have a bracket that will convert a sata onboard to a eSata.

8) This will have Vista premium sp1 and for software I use Beyond TV 4.82 i think is the latest to record.

Basically what I want this to do is to be a DVR. I have a haupauge 1800 to record TV. I probably won't put a blu-ray player on this. I'm waiting for the xbox 360 w/ blu-ray. If it never comes out then maybe I will later.
Obviously it needs to display 1080i/720p and i'm not sure if the onboard video can do that. No gaming is done on this i have a gaming rig already.

Any thoughts? opinions? alternatives are welcomed. I'm not looking to break the bank on this so price is important.

Thanks!
Take care,

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
G45 should be availiable soon.
nvidia 8200 for Intel should also be out soon.

both of those can handle 1080p.

dont know about a 7100 or G35

if your graphics aren't up to snuff, use one of your cards. 380 watts should be enought for even the 7900.

ya i'm thinking the 7100 could barely do 720p.

I'll google the G45 and see when that comes out. I can wait it's not overly critical.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I remember nvidia having a little chart on what did what for video playback when I was deciding on a gfx card. the 7300gt had what looked to me, the least I'd want for the tv tuner card I have. each step up had more features.
if you use one of your card, use the 7900gt. but I think the g45 might be a better option as the newer stuff is more optimised for video

I looked it up and I guess it was suppose to be out in April '08. Not sure why the delay. I think i'll wait for the g45 though regardless. Since it matches perfectly with what I want to do.

So far I've been trying to build a HTPC with a 427 dollar budget. I have some old parts already like i mentioned above. So that helps.

All I need now is a case and motherboard. I bought vista premium, 2gigs of ram, and a 1.3 hdmi cable. I have 210 dollars left over.

I'm not positive if I want to get the G45 only because it's new and i'm hearing some bad news on it. Such as trouble getting drivers to work and working out the kinks. I think i read that for both g45 and geforce 8000 actually.

So I guess my new question is, in your opinion/experience, which is the better chipset for an HTPC out of what is currently available.

I kind of want this to be a low powered pc so if i can avoid using a graphics card that would be ideal.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
That's what I am using(780g + AMD 5200) but with what he already has that would be ridiculous. Just buy a basic mobo that can accommodate what you have and buy a low end GPU something like ATI 3450-3470 or if you got a little more money the 3650 would do a good job and you can even find some iterations that use passive cooling which is usually a + for HTPC. With your budget you should be able to do that.

I think I like that idea. Maybe get a microATX w/ P45 chipset and a HD 3650. I still need a case and that's 90 bucks. But I can go over my budget a little bit.

crap you may have a point with the AMD 780G system. 73watt power usage and a small form factor is exactly what I'm looking for.

bah more thinking to do

Nope going to have to hold off a bit longer. Not liking what I'm seeing.
I'll wait for the G45 and hope for better cases and motherboard options.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I the G45 is giving you problems, you can always throw a low end card on it. With your intel, I think the g45 is your best option.

IMHO AMD is the better way to go for HTPC if your starting with a clean slate. It realy doesn't take much of a CPU for what you want to do. you could eassily get a MOBO and CPU for less than $150, but thats $50+ more than you have to spend. I don't think the energy efficicientcy will pay for itself, but you might want to do the math if thats a prime concern for you.

Ya i gotta think about it. I like the lower power idea but at the same token I do have a core 2 duo...

I was looking at the 4850 and that's 86 bucks + the gigabyte mobo and that's 80'something. basically 200 bucks and that kills my budget. I gotta find some benchmarks for these 45watt chips and find out what would work best for the budget.

Ok I made my choice. I'm actually glad I posted here. I normally do as other peoples opinions are greatly valued.

I decided to go with the:
1) GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G and
2) AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor

I'll have to buy a HTPC case later this year. I have a Mid-tower case I can use for now though. I'm going with faster cpu because I may want to put other stuff on it. Maybe a blu-ray player with power dvd who knows.

I like the low power idea and that gigabyte board is probably the best board I've seen. I probably looked through about 50 boards by now.

Alright thanks for the suggestions!
take care.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I think you made a good choice but you end up with quite a bit of extra parts. Oh well not a real biggie, you can always try to sell them and make some money of you don't think you'll use them. Not sure about the GPU but I am certain that you can sell that 6600. As far as CPU are concerned, just be careful because some 780 G motherboard don't like high power drainage CPU. I don't know which one for sure but some are simply not designed to handle more than a 89W CPU which would correspond to AMD 5600. I guess you'll just have to check your specific MB to get the answer. Anyways, enjoy your rig.

Already got a buyer for the 7900gt and the core 2 duo.

I'm probably never going to upgrade this thing. This setup will be sitting in my entertainment system. Well for now beside it because I have to use the mid-tower case. At least until I find a case I like.

I really like the hiper htpc cases. I can't find an oem version yet though. It's a case that looks like a simple dvd player.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856171003

This case here. Supposedly there will be an oem without the motherboard coming out later this year. It has one full slot. I'm still looking though.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I've seen it for sale (in silver I think), just case and PSU for about $200

there aren't many cases with riser cards, you'll probably have to get on that takes half height cards.

I've been on the lookout for a small footprint 1u case for a while. I'll probably end up making my own.

the gigabyte looks like it suports most high wattage processors, but last I looked not the 9850. I ordered one myself, but it ended up being DOA. never bothered getting a different one yet after sending that one back.

I can't. I have a TV tuner card that cost me over a 100 bucks. It's a haupauge 1800 pci-express card. It works great. It's a full height card so I'm stuck with full height slot cases.

If you look at the hiper case though it has a full height slot and it has riser cards you can get. As well as specially made cpu-heatsink to fit in it.

Got a link for that case?

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I find it's one of the problem when building an HTCP, if you want a decent case, solidly built and well made it's going to cost you. Mine is in a rather cheap enclose (coolermaster elite 330) but again it's not sitting in my living room beside other video/audio components. If that was the case it would look very out of place.

Groo
the gigabyte looks like it supports most high wattage processors, but last I looked not the 9850. I ordered one myself, but it ended up being DOA. never bothered getting a different one yet after sending that one back.

You see the problem here is that some of those MB were advertised as being able to handle high wattage CPU but ended up frying when they were pushed to do so. Anyways for more details there was an article an Anandtech a few weeks ago.

I might go with a phenom instead. Someone got a phenom 9550 to work on that gigabyte board. Can't seem to find it though.

I found it at newegg. The 9550 phenom. I'm just thinking I may want to go quad core just in case I centralize the computer with more tasks. I say that because I know myself and I tend to do that. or even the 9750 that's only 20 bucks more.

But now it's a power saving vs performance dilemma.

ok it's final. I went to mwave and got the following:

# GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H amd 780g chipset micro ATX form factor 1xPCI-E(x16)/1xPCI-E(x1)/2xpci/4xddr2 w/integrated vga,sata2 raid,lan(gb),esata,hdmi,1394,usb 2.0&audio(*Regular $89.50- $5.00 Mwave Instant Discount =$84.50 from 6/16/08 to 6/30/08)
PHENOM X4 9550 2.2G - AGENA
# ASSEMBLE/TEST

Total came to ~289 ... 90 bucks more than my budget allowed but the performance increase with the phenom processor was worth the cost.

80 bucks more for the phenom 9550 and i paid 10 bucks for them to test it.

I haven't ordered from mwave in a long time. I decided to go here because they don't charge sales tax while newegg does thanks to the stupid illegal new york law.

Oh newegg order was 30 bucks more - 317 and change and they don't have testing options.