CPU Upgrade for my Dell

cheersevans

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Hi,

I want to upgrade the CPU in my Dell e520, I'm thinking about the Core 2 Quad Q6700 as it has the same FSB as my current CPU. Is there any other considerations for deciding if the new CPU will work with the dell motherboard? Here are teh specs of my motherboard.

Thanks for your help,

Property Value
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0WG864
Serial Number ..CN4811173J05KW.

North Bridge Intel P965/G965 Revision C2
South Bridge Intel 82801HH (ICH8DH) Revision C2

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction Single-bit ECC

rockyjohn

Distinguished
What will work also depends on BIOS and what Dell wants to have work on it. Check with Dell. That is one of the advantages of a buy-your-own. They can tell you.

Exactly ^ . Most prebuilds, like Dell, have very limited upgrade options as far as the CPU goes. Just because the chipset on board "should" be compatable with a certain CPU, does not mean your Dell has a BIOS that supports it. Pre-builds like Dell want you to buy a new PC, not upgrade what you have. Your BIOS will usually only work with the CPU it came with, or another very close to it. Going from dual to quad is very likely not an option.

The safest thing before you spend any money is to contact Dell support and ask them what upgrades will work on your model.

Dell techs will only read the documentation , which mentions nothing about Quad's, plenty of people have upgraded to the Q6600 using the latest bios though.