Cant boot up computer

brewscomp

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Hello,
i cant boot up my dell inpiron 1100 running xp. when i hit the power button, it shows the dell logo and then goes blank or black. i tried all of the options in f8 and f12, but when i try, the screen just goes blank & nothing every happens.

How long are you leaving it before deciding nothing is happening? If the system has a problem, it's worth letting it try to load for as long as twenty minutes. If you have a PC, connect the laptop to its monitor in case the laptop's screen can no longer display more complex graphics than a Dell logo.[/#000ff]

brewscomp

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I have only let it sit blank for about 10 min. I dont have a PC to try the laptops screen. But I have ordered a recovery CD that should arrive next week & I will try to let it sit for 20 minutes or more. So what would it be if it did come on after 20 minutes & would that be an issue that can be fixed? Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate them. By the way, if I dont answer right away, its because I use the library comp & it can only be once a day for an hour and a half.

brewscomp

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Hi, i just got the recovery cd yesterday & it worked. i can log into my computer now (which i'm on) & get passed the dell logo with the cd. now i just dont know how to keep from booting up the comp without the cd, or however the correct term is to log completely into the comp. I tried system restore to the date before the updates occurred, but it still does the same thing, not getting past the dell logo. i really appreciate your help.

brewscomp

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

I'm sorry i dont know that much about computers. you said, once you've done the repair. I dont know how to do the repair & i dont know how to get into the BIOS to change it back to the hard drive. a lot of this is foreign language to me. when i got the cd i just kept trying each of the options & then it booted up like nothing happened. but i asked at work, & they said that it booted correctly bec of the cd, sorry, i just dont know what to do after that. im illiterate with computer insides.

No problem, I can break it down.

Tap the delete key repeatedly on startup. This is normally the key to get into the BIOS. If that isn't the key, some other common keys are F1, F2, F8, F9, F11...etc. Try them until you get into a screen similar to this.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3117/postbyluis.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shareseeking.com/Dell-Bios-Admin-EEPROM-Password-Cracker-incl-Source-MSDOS-1-0-8594-Uncategorized_243822.html&usg=__RSCaJKBRFIu2fOm3VAsUioRvFhA=&h=355&w=443&sz=30&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=Iz-yyRkSwJVJcM:&tbnh=139&tbnw=173&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddell%2Bbios%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1272%26bih%3D818%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=701&vpy=377&dur=384&hovh=143&hovw=178&tx=104&ty=76&ei=M2zUTKebN4KdnweDg9XSBQ&oei=HGzUTOIKxKKcB4CisacF&esq=7&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:0

Look for an option for the First Boot Device, or Boot Device Priority. Arrow down to that and press Enter. Then put the marker next to the hard drive, and press enter. Then press Esc to back out of that. Then press F10 to save the changes and exit.

As long as the discs repaired the problem, it will then boot into windows off of the hard drive.