Raid0 on Windows 7 : HELP

vslo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I just bought 2 seagate 500gb 7200.12 and I am planning to make a Raid0 with them to get better performance in my work station.
My mobo is a Biostar t-power x58A.
I would like to ask if someone has or could make a fast Raid guide for me since I never made it before.
I was reading a lot about it , and I've noted that some people had it done without a Raid driver.Is that correct? does windows 7 has a driver for it or I missunderstood ?
Beacause I dont have disket floppy on my pc !

Solution
RAID is not software by itself, RAID is a specification on how to use multiple disks to combine into one large virtual array. What you are going to use is an implementation of RAID, rather than RAID itself.

It may be obvious, but any RAID engine differs, you can have Software RAID, Onboard RAID or Hardware RAID. If you're using the motherboard onboard RAID, you're using Onboard RAID. Note that this is not hardware RAID since all work will be done by windows-only drivers; its a software engine. That's ok though.

Generally these are the steps you must take:
- install HDDs and connect to motherboard onboard SATA controller. Some motherboards have multiple controllers; pick the chipset-supplied ports not any additional "RAID CHIP"...
You should be good to go
(1) create you stripped raid set from bios. Basicly you just select the drives, and just follow the prompts (ie strip size).
(2) Windows 7 should find it without the "F6" floppy. Have two WD in raid0, did not need to load any drivers for a win 7 RC install.

sub mesa

Distinguished
RAID is not software by itself, RAID is a specification on how to use multiple disks to combine into one large virtual array. What you are going to use is an implementation of RAID, rather than RAID itself.

It may be obvious, but any RAID engine differs, you can have Software RAID, Onboard RAID or Hardware RAID. If you're using the motherboard onboard RAID, you're using Onboard RAID. Note that this is not hardware RAID since all work will be done by windows-only drivers; its a software engine. That's ok though.

Generally these are the steps you must take:
- install HDDs and connect to motherboard onboard SATA controller. Some motherboards have multiple controllers; pick the chipset-supplied ports not any additional "RAID CHIP" or something. Often if a motherboard has more than one controller, some SATA ports have different colours.

- Go to the system BIOS and set the option "SATA transfer mode" to "RAID" (other settings: IDE/Auto/AHCI). Some BIOS work differently and can enable RAID-mode per SATA port. Look your manual.

- Boot up until you see the onboard RAID printing something on the screen, often giving you an option to enter RAID Setup. "Press F3 to enter RAID setup" or something. Do this and here you should see your two drives and able to set them in RAID0. This procedure is in your motherboard manual.

- Insert windows cd/dvd and let it boot. After getting a coloured screen, it prompts you very shortly to press F6 to install additional drivers. Do this quickly, and you'll get a screen where you can load drivers from USB-stick. You need to have an USB-stick with decompressed RAID-drivers for your motherboard or chipset. These can be downloaded from theit website. Note that you don't have to use floppies like you have to with Windows XP.

- After it found your drivers, it will see your new RAID array. You can make partitions etc, everything will be like its just one big drive. Install as normal.

Solution

vslo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
But there are those 2 things related to Raid in the mobo page in biostar.com:

RAID Controller ; Operating System: Windows 2000/XP x86/XP x64/Vista x86/Vista x64/Win7 x86/Win7 x64/

Serial ATA AHCI/RAID ; Operating System: Operating System: Windows XP x64/Vista x64/Win7 x64/

Wich is the one that I have to download and paste in my usb flash ?

sub mesa

Distinguished
Your motherboard has Intel ICH10R RAID controller (6 ports), and an additional JMicron JMB363 controller for two eSATA ports and PATA controller. You should use the Intel RAID controller, called MatrixRAID.

Its possible you can activate RAID on the eSATA ports too, but these are for external disks and i guess you don't want to use those for RAID. :)

vslo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
But can you give me the page for me to download the driver? and after it I just have to paste it on my usb flash or I gotta do something else with the file so that can be recognized in the boot?

My MB had the ICH8R (attached 2 WD 640 Raid0) and the JMicron JMB 36x controller with two SATA DVD writters attached. Installed win 7 RC without needing and F6 drivers. After installing W7 RC I reattached the other two HDD (Raid0 w/Vista) and win 7 saw them just fine. They do not list any F6 drivers for my MB (Gigabyte) for win 7, they do list F6 drivers for xp and vista.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/t-power/driver.php?S_ID=397
For Biostar t-power x58A, Biostar does NOT list seperate F6 drivers, they are buried in the Zip files, you would need to down load (try both the Raid controller and the Serial ATA AHCI/RAID Just select ones that applies with a date after 08/2009 and extract, and look for (or read the readme file normally included )

vslo

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I should just download both files and paste them on my usb flash? just like that? or do I have to get an specified file?

just one of the files comes with a read me and it says :

To create a pre-install disk for 64-bit WinXP/Win2003/Vista, please copy all files in the floppy64 folder to the root directory of a floppy disk.

what does that means?
-I am seeing a lot of people that aren`t using any drivers to make a raid with w7.Why`s that? and do you recomend me trying not using a driver or u recomend that I use the files designed in the biostar website?

Those drivers in the biostar website they are the intel drivers???

edit: I do have the mobo DVD with the drivers, should I try it during the windows installation?
I am sorry for all those doubts!

(1) Have the downloaded files available ie on a CD, or a thumb drive., just incase you need them - I don't think you will. Your CD for the mother board probably predates Win 7.

(2) connect HHDs, boot in to your bios/and or raid setup to create a raid 0 array. The MB manual should explain this. You will also need to set to SATA (Not AHCI) mode in bios.

(3) Save and reboot using the Win 7 DVD. If you do a custom install if it sees your HDD it will ask you about creating a primary partition and You are good to go. If it does not, just reboot and when it ask for "F6" just point to where you have them, if it finds them it will ask which one, just select which one, ie 64 Bit ICH10R and JMICRON JMB 363. (As I said I don't think you will need)

Best advice is to try it, if you have a problem - ASK back.