Viking9

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
I've had to HD's in a RAID 0 array for the past year. Today my computer does not boot. A disk error has occured, press ctrl-alt-delete to restart.

Before it gets to this point, there a few bootup screens, one of which shows my RAID status as FAILED and lists my 1 of my 2 RAID drivers as a NONRAID drive.

I have the data (mostly) backed up so that is not much of an issue for me. (But would there be a way to recover it?)

Really I wonder if it would be unwise of me to just keep the two drivers and set up a RAID 0 again with them. Is the drive faulty or was this some fluke?

FWIW, I have an Intel ICHR9 motherboard.

Thanks for your comments!

sub mesa

Distinguished
This can happen, with the disks themselves being ok. They were not ok for a moment, some requests may have timed out or it may have had a slight read error (a bad sector) but RAID controllers are strict and if the device does not reply with the requested information, it would drop the disk out of the array.

Normally that's fine because you have redundancy and spares to take the place of the "failed" or "suspect" drive - but you don't since you run a simple RAID0. So be aware that this is some risk.

The data is recoverable, with Linux/BSD methods or using windows recovery. However, its easy to screw this up for example by 'initiazing' one of the RAID disks in the disk management screen. This will wipe some 20MB worth of data and that's not what you want.

If you have a good backup, restore it. You can always think about breaking the RAID0 and just have two HDDs. You wouldn't have these problems at least.