Sign in with
Your question

Do you really need to stress test a new build?

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2008 8:47:38 PM

I read that most hardware fail within 48 hours and I was wondering if I should do a stress test to make sure my components will last.

Do you guys think it's nessecary?

More about : stress test build

June 15, 2008 8:58:13 PM

I'd just submit it to your usual routine for a few days and if there's errors then send the hardware back. If you want to check the stability and it's no inconvenience then sure do it but I don't usually bother as systems are generally fine unless overclocked.
June 15, 2008 8:58:28 PM

Well I would do it if you are selling it to someone, or if you want to be extra sure the hardware all works.
Related resources
June 15, 2008 9:10:01 PM

Do it. If anything is wrong you want to find out before you send rebate claims or throw out the packaging or warranties expire. Run memtest86 and/or prime95 and some HDD diagnostics tool. To test the video card just play Crysis or whatever. If your parents say you're playing too much explain you're testing the hardware. :) 
June 15, 2008 9:17:06 PM

Would you test drive a new car before buying it?

I submit all my builds to some moderate testing (like a test drive), writing a document listening to my mp3s and a video encoding task at the same time would provide a very good test for a stock machine, also running a CPU stress test for 15 mins just to check if the temps are in an acceptable range, no more than that.

Extreme test like 8 hours prime or overnight memtest are for heavily OCed machines.

So in short, yes, I'd do 1 MEMTEST pass, 15 mins Prime95 and half an hour of heavy usage, it should't take much time and it will save you a lot of trouble in the mid/long term.
June 15, 2008 9:17:33 PM

I would at least run memtest86+ to see if it passes at stock volts, timings, etc. If you don't overclock, don't stress test it. Although, I would try to do normal operations on it like gaming, reading news to test for any obvious problems.
June 16, 2008 4:11:40 AM

Thanks guys.
!