plugging in side fan to mobo shorts computer wont turn on

franklloyd

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I have an xclio a380 case which has a huge side fan. It uses a standard powersupply connect for its led lights.

It also has a small 3 pin connector coming out to connect into the motherboard.

It was too short so i bought a 3pin fan extension cable, and I used it to plug into the chassis fan spot on my EVGA 750i FTW mobo. However when before my computer worked perfectly fine, now it gets a hint of power, like the fans seem to move just a split second and then the computer doesn't boot up.

I tried moving it to other fan spots, chassis, auxiliary, sys fan areas. All make the same thing happen. Anyone know any ideas where to plug this thing? I don't need speed control, I just need it to spin so I can use my computer with the side panel put back on.

Thanks.

franklloyd

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
well it's actually built into the side panel of my case. I can take it out im sure but that's gonna take some fiddling. Is there some other power source i can plug my fan into just to test if it works?

PDO

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Go on ebay and buy a 3 pin to 4 pin fan adapter, or you might find one locally. Then you could plug it directly into a standard molex plug.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

If the fan and the cabling is ok, then this should work fine. There is a case though that the fan or the fan cable are shorting out somewhere. In that case i would not recommend connecting it to any power supply unless you get it fixed or throw it away and buy a new one. That is one explanation why your motherboard is not booting. Other explanations are:

1) That motherboard header or all of them cannot provide enough power to power up the fan, hence the system will not boot at all, since none of the fans are spinning.

2) The fan control chip on the motherboard is faulty, hence when you connect something on the header, it immediately shorts out and prevents the system from booting.