Possible motherboard failure?

yqotteci

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
After weeks of googling desperately trying to diagnose what is wrong with my PC, i have finally given up and need help from the fine community here.

What i have:
Asus m2npv-vm mobo
AMD sempron 3000+
2gigs of hynix ddr2 800
WD 7200rpm 80 gig HD
hyena 350w psu
some OEM combo(cd-rw/dvd-rw) drive

The problem, my computer has decided to crash at the desktop and now wont boot, the fans spin up and the leds turn on, but the monitor (which IS plugged up properly and in working order) remains on standby.
If it does boot, it crashes shortly afterwards and wont boot up.
If it boots and doesn't crash, it will not shut down completely (start>turn off computer> shutdown) the fans and the leds still run.

So far i have tried replacing the PSU to a coolermaster 450w, Reseating RAM (which i have comfirmed to be in working order) and resetting the CMOS, all without success.

There is also one last symptom that i have been unable to find and answer for, the computer immediately powers down as soon as i plug something into the rear audio jack, (front ones still work fine). Which leads me to suspect that it is indeed the mobo.

What i would like is some confirmation on my suspicion that it is indeed my motherboard, or if a borked CPU (or anything else for that matter) could cause anything like what im experiencing.

Cheers, any help is greatly appreciated.

lkevinl

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
How many memory modules do you have? If your memory is bad, it doesn't matter how much you try to reseat it. If you have two modules, try with just one and then just the other. If you have just one, try to get another from elsewhere, another computer and try that. If you can boot to a certain point, I'd guess that memory is the issue since a bad CPU would probably not get you very far at all. Also, heat may be a factor. How are you fans doing? Do you have any freeze mist to play with?

Regarding the audio jack, you could have a bad ground. The power supply will shutdown if it thinks it gets a shutdown signal from the mobo. The audio jack may be causing a short or it might be causing some electrostatic discharge which could be a problem too. What happens if you power down the system, plug something into the rear audio jack and then power up? Are you able to power up in that situation? If so, DON'T UNPLUG from the rear audio jack! Figure that problem out later!

mtt

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
dude i've been having the EXACT same problem.....started out with the freezing when ever something plug/unplugged from the rear port.....then started to decide when it wants to boot itself(the fans,hdd,cd rom all seems to start up),then did not boot at all,if it does it freezes eventually....tested hdd,rams,processor on another pc...all seem fine,tried reseting the cmos...no good...
i think its the motherboard too...+when i take of the processor,rams or graphics card there is no warning signal upon power on...which leads me to believe its the mother board even more.....:-(

shuai_ma

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

I've had the exact same problem as well. I tried removing ram, I have 4 modules, and no success. I haven't tried replacing my power supply, or tested the CPU, I've figured it's all the motherboard. My computer also would fail to shut down, then had to start it multiple times in order for it actually to boot, now my screen stays at standby and I have no clue what to do.