G200 Pricing

Where do you, or would you like to see nVidias G280/260 priced at?
22 answers Last reply
More about g200 pricing
  1. GTX 260 should be in the $320 range once the prices for the 4870 come down to where they should be. GTX 280 should be around $400 based on performance.
  2. I like how the pols are finally fixed! :bounce:
    WTG Toms!
    I think that was the last problem with the new forums that was still bugging me.
  3. I think I already posted this, but anyway... If ATI were to set their prices on stone for now (4850 @ 200, 4870 @ 300), then I can see the GTX 260 being competitive at $280, the GTX 280 at slightly over $400, and the upcoming 4870 X2 at $500.

After all, the 4870 either matches or outclasses the GTX 260 in almost every game, so it makes sense for it to be cheaper than the 4870. I really don't care at this point what nvidia does to be honest, I just know that as soon as the HD 4850 are in stock in my country I'll be selling my 8800GTS 320 and getting one.
  4. If Nvidia doesn't update their prices real soon, they will lose lots of market shares to ATI. Right now you really have to be a die hard Nvidia fanboy to be considering buying anything from them. 4870 performs better than the 260, and only slightly under 280 while being cheaper than both !!

I alway go for best bang for the buck so I ordered a 4870 to replace my 8800GT.
  5. Currently, nVidias stocks are down 30%. Not looking good for the green team. In all fairness, all stocls are bottoming, but not like nVidias
  6. How do you know?
  7. Look it up. Its public. Tough times
  8. Jaydee is Smart :P
  9. Where on nvidia's site? or google?
  10. It's hard to say.

For me, I probably wouldn't buy the GTX280 if it was $300 at this point. Looking at the way software development is going, with DX10.1 and ATI friendly optimizations, the 4870 (which really does have more raw power than the GTX280) will likely exceed GTX280 in the future.

Why would I want a card with less raw power, more heat and power consumption, that lacks the technology to best its competition in upcoming games? Because most modern games I've played through 5 times are Nvidia optimized? Well, thankfully the 4870 will eat (save a couple) those for breakfast anyway.
  11. While it may not be 'fair' I think the one option that should've been in there was that the GTX260 be 5-10% less than the HD4870.

I think the GTX280 deserves to be 20-30% more than the HD4870, no qestion, but the attractiveness of the GTX260 for this poll would run more the lines of 5-10% more than the HD4870 , even , 5-10% less than the HD4870.

I really would love to know what the gross margins are for the HD4870, because IMO they're actually under-priced as much as the GTXs may be over-priced, and I think AMD/ATi is leaving money on the table, where both the HD4850 and HD4870 woud sell well with an MSRP $25-50 higher and etail prices closer to $279 and $349 respectively with a quick one month drop to th $249/299-329.

Anywhoo, if they're making money off of them then this is really a nice time for AMD after a year of mediocrity with the R6xx design a return to profitability would definitely help their fortunes and draw developer attention even without paying for that benefit.
  12. I agree TGGA, I goofed, should have had that option. Heres a link at nVidias fortunes in their stock http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?symbol=nvda I guess I didnt want to come off as a fanboy, as the shock hasnt fully set in here in the forums
  13. I know we think we should pay for performance... so if a card performs faster, we accept that it costs more... but don't you think Nvidia is in a bind here? Yes, they have the fastest performing GPU at the present, but god at what cost... not talking about the $650 selling price... I'm talking about their cost to manufacturer that beast compared to a more modestly sized 4850/4870. Even at their better price points, I can't help but think that ATI is making more money.
  14. Nvidia almost pulled a phenom on us
  15. TheGreatGrapeApe said:
    I really would love to know what the gross margins are for the HD4870, because IMO they're actually under-priced as much as the GTXs may be over-priced, and I think AMD/ATi is leaving money on the table, where both the HD4850 and HD4870 woud sell well with an MSRP $25-50 higher and etail prices closer to $279 and $349 respectively with a quick one month drop to th $249/299-329.

Anywhoo, if they're making money off of them then this is really a nice time for AMD after a year of mediocrity with the R6xx design a return to profitability would definitely help their fortunes and draw developer attention even without paying for that benefit.

I think AMD is underpricing the heck out of them for the purpose of grabbing back market share as fast as possible. Probably for pretty much the reason you stated, the more they sell, the more attention and free marketing they will get online, also more developers will use their cards to make games, causing future games to (hopefully) run even better on their arch. Perhaps if devs start using these cards we will see some more DX10.1 games come out in the distant future(besides AC which I did not like).

I agree about the option on the poll too, I was actually looking for the option of 260 10%< 4870

I have put my new build plans on hold till I see the 4870x2 benches though. Anyone got any juicy gossip about release dates or NDA lift dates?
  16. Making some, and losing none. Their (nVidias) selling points is holding their profit margins, but whats it matter if they dont sell many? Theyll have to adjust, and with that, comes losses. Like Ape said, ATI has the ability to raise their prices and still sell, whereas , nVidias only real choice is to cut their prices, and thus their profits, and maybe even lose money
  17. Latest is early august for the x2, but some will show up ealier in last week of July, cost is still at 499USD
  18. alfrido said:
    How do you know?

its all ready been posted

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252368-15-creek
  19. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    Making some, and losing none. Their (nVidias) selling points is holding their profit margins, but whats it matter if they dont sell many?

Yeah, but the only problem with that, if nV doesn't sell them then the R&D and other sunken costs, and overhead and labour, etc, all has to be spread out over a smaller number of chips meaning the cost per chip goes up. And while they may not lose $5-10 per chip as a direct result of TSMC chip -> to market, it does mean that less of the multii-hundreds of millions of dollars to make the GTX200 series goes as a larger write-down, since it's likely that that cost was amortized in order to spread it over the future sales. The biggest problem is their is not mid-range profitable solution for them either where they can focus on a fleshy middle to pay for their expensive hi end boutique cards, that fleshy middle has the HD4K parked right in the middle of it, with the GTX+ being a none too attractive competitor.

I think this also hurts ATi by totally destroying their HD2K and 3K numbers (would you buy an HD2600/3650 for anything other than an editing rig?Would you buy an HD3850/3870 for much of anything nowadays for anything more than $99?

It's a very VERY weird market, and like I mentioned a few weeks ago, anyone complaining about gettting bang for their buck in gaming is blind, and only looking at the boutique market which has never been about value. This past and next 6 month is probably the best value in graphics cards in as long as I've been following it, which is no small feat. :whistle:
  20. Well, then it all comes down to marketshare, thus proving that AMD's acusition of ATI was worthwhile, and boosting overall AMD value for marketing existence, something they both needed for survival and for marketibility. Sometimes the smaller picture maybe obscured by the larger?
  21. If Newegg is any indication, it seems like ATI's new cards are flying off the shelves. I mean, heck, two brands of the 4870s are out of stock and I remember at one point that ALL the 4870s were out of stock for about a week. Meanwhile half of the GTX cards don't have a single review (telling me that almost no one bought that half). Granted, none of this is difinitive, but I think it's a good sign that DAAMIT is doing well for itself this generation.

Just imagine, you can now get the performance of an 8800 Ultra, which was once a $600 about a year and a half ago (much like the GTX 280 now) for 1/3 of the price (less after rebates). Time are definately good. :bounce:

Edit - Almost forgot that Galaxy also decided not to be an Nvidia exclusive anymore, which I think also says something. :kaola:
  22. Well, I really like to see what ATI has done with their 4000 series, but I hope that Nvidias middle range 200 series comes soon!
    GT200 series with 256bit memory interface would not be so expensive as these highend monsters, but would propably be fasters than old 8000 and 9000 series cards.
    We can only hope that they don't kill each others even this time! We need them both...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics