Overclock issue, PowerColor HD4850 PCS+ 512Mb GDDR3

dedix

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I modded and flashed my bios from a clean DOS boot. I even raised voltages but it did not seem to work. I restored original one and ran an auto overclock with ATI Catalyst Control Center. My card has passed 700/1060. Later I ran 3Dmark06 demo, it was ok. After that I played about 20-30 minutes with Grand Ages Rome without any problem. I started getting happy. Then I launched Brother in Arms - Hell's Highway. Just after game was loaded, screen has just frozen to death, came back for a few secs, so I could move a little bit. It happened a few times then I got a blank screen eventually, so I had to kill the game in task manager.

I even tried to auto overclock using Ati Tray Tools (it tries to find a maximum GPU/RAM clock speed while looking for artifacts) accordingly to it my card was stable @ 722/1033. I really do not get it. Is it possible that some game runs correctly while some does not?

Right after the game was stopped I noticed the following error message on the notification area:

notif.png

festerovic

Distinguished
There's a number of things that could cause this. One is power, what kind of power supply. Two, OCing something with CCC or with ATT does not mean it will be stable. Try backing off the OC until it gets stable. As the card heats up, it will become less stable.

dedix

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

I have got a Thermaltake TR2-500, 500W PSU.