PCI-E Slot Dead or Graphics Card?

RiposoEterno

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
hey guys, i'm posting this in both the motherboard and display card forums as i'm not sure which is the source of the problem.

Basically, i'm not getting anything on my screen, I know the DVI socket on the graphics card is still working as my monitor can see the card when its plugged in but isn't recieving any image signal from it, the fan on the card is still spinning as well. Is there any way for me to diagnose whether it is the PCI-E Slot or the Card? I don't have access to another motherboard or gfx card to switch in without purchasing one and cash is tight at the moment as I just lost my job.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Do you get anything on screen during POST before Windows starts to load? Without a second computer to try the card in it can be really tough to tell what the problem is.

If you only lose the video signal after Windows starts to load then try unplugging the monitor from power for 10 minutes. Sometimes the DVI input gets messed up and that usually fixes it.

RiposoEterno

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I have no video signal at all so I can't see anything on the screen.

I know my monitor can see the card when I plug it in because I the little light comes on telling me that it has detected a DVI connection but then doesn't get any image signal from it.

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Try connecting through analog instead. I'm assuming your motherboard doesn't have any integrated graphics you could plug into instead? Does the computer POST okay? Does it beep at all when you start it up?

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
dose ur mb make any kind of sound or any thing. ....

i think the most likely cause of problem is that the motherboard died or that ur rams r loose. i had these problems several times in all the years that i had PC and in all cases it was the ram being loose. but there was this once when ma MB dint response to anything that i did. it just turns on all the fans and sits there doing absolutely nothing. i got new MB but i never figured out y i had that problem.

check ur graphics card by trying it on a different PC.

also try and c if ur CPU fans slows down after u power up. usually when u power up, MB starts CPU fan at max speed and then slows it down. c if that happens to check if ur MB is working.

also try reseting ur bios. use the jumper. if that dose not help remove the battery and wait for 10sec b4 putting it back in n then boot up.

gtaloversa6o

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
i have the same problem like this guy, the problem is, nothing shows on the screen and windows doesnt start....usually when i stat my computer it turns all fans at max speed ( i think all fans but it could be just the motherboard one or CPU one or it could be any fan) They first start fast then they slow down. And afterwards windows loads and everything runs perfectly, I usewd an onboard videocard because my old one broke down . My old one was a ATI Radeon X1300 or X1350 Pro 512 mb. It overheated and it broke down, and i went into computer service and see whats wrong, then the computer didnt wanna turn on at all. After they put the cable for monitor on my motherboard so it could use my oboard videocard and everything was running perfectly. Today i got a new videocard - Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 256 MB PCI-E x16. When i plug it in...screw it in, put the cables where they must be and start the computer, all fans turn really fast but they dont slow down or anything and nothing happens on the monitor, windows doesnt load - nothhing. I have a 300W PSU,A BIOSTAR P4M890 motherboard, Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 2.0GHz and 2 GB RAM. Whats wrong, the PCI-E x16 slot, - What is problem ? :??:

Matthew Norvell

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013

I just bought a new DX4870-ub318 computer today and the integrated graphics works fine, the computer turns on and i can setup windows and everything with sound, but if I plug in a PNY Nvidia GeForce GT 430 PCIe 2.0 video card with 1024mb ram the screen does nothing, I made sure everything was plugged in correctly and seated all the way I checked all of the bios and even tried resetting it with the jumper... I checked everything these replies mentioned and got nothing still.....SO after all that my question is:
Did you find a solution? :)