/ Sign-up
Your question

Areca 1120 + raid6 : raid set restored but 1 volume missing

  • NAS / RAID
  • Spinpoint
  • Servers
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2009 3:36:08 AM

Hi there,

Tonight, I've moved one of my servers to another casing. In it is an areca 1120 along with 8 spinpoint f1's (yes I know, bad choice won't do it again... ;) ) in a raid6 setup.
On the raid set are 3 voluems: 0 , which is my /bot of 512MB. 1 , which is my / of 100gB, and /home of almost 5900GB.

After having changed the machine, 2 disks seemed to have been causing troubles (read errors), so I replaced both of them.

The raid set was degraded but got rebuilt properly:

  1. CLI> rsf info
  2. # Name Disks TotalCap FreeCap DiskChannels State
  3. ===============================================================================
  4. 1 Raid Set # 00 8 8000.0GB 0.0GB 58763412 Rebuilding
  5. ===============================================================================
  6. GuiErrMsg<0x00>: Success.

Huh. rebuilding? But how many percent progress? Furthermore, the webinterface doesn't mention rebuilding at all.

CLI> vsf info
# Name Raid Name Level Capacity Ch/Id/Lun State
1 ARC-1120-VOL#00 Raid Set # 00 Raid6 0.5GB 00/00/00 Normal
2 ARC-1120-VOL#01 Raid Set # 00 Raid6 100.0GB 00/00/01 Normal
3 ARC-1120-VOL#02 Raid Set # 00 Raid6 5899.5GB 00/00/02 Failed
GuiErrMsg<0x00>: Success.

So , it seems like I can't get my volume 3 up and running again. That's weird because it's on the same raid set as the other volumes.... which do behave fine.

Is there a way to restore this third volume? I've read about creating a new volume using the no init option, but that's my last resort since I'm afraid of breaking stuff.
Furthermore, it will take a lot of time I guess?

Anybody got a clue about:

1: Getting my third volume up and running again?
2: What did exactly happen?
3: How to take counter-measures to prevent this from happening again?



More about : areca 1120 raid6 raid set restored volume missing

a b G Storage
October 12, 2009 9:19:49 AM

Doesn't this mean that your volume 3 has simply failed and cannot be used again?
a b G Storage
October 12, 2009 10:28:46 AM

Find the command that list the status of the individual drives.
It's weird that you've set it up with one array and multiple volumes. Unless you're running different OSs (I assume that's what the 512MB volume is for), with just Windows it's easier to manage the array with just one volume and create partitions instead.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with using desktop HDDs in a array with 8 disks or less. Just set disk read/write time-out to more than 60s, a workaround to drives without TLER.
October 12, 2009 8:12:25 PM

Well all drives seem to be fine.

The 512M partition is for /boot, the 100G for / and the rest for /home.
No windows involved.

I recovered some of these volumes but it's kind of hard to restore the filesystem (ext3) on the biggest one.
It keeps getting errors like:

[code]ragbak:/# mount /dev/sdc1 /home/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

ragbak:/# dmesg | tail
[ 37.726376] /dev/vmnet: port on hub 8 successfully opened
[ 40.304663] /dev/vmnet: open called by PID 3127 (vmnet-netifup)
[ 40.304684] /dev/vmnet: port on hub 1 successfully opened
[ 40.305176] /dev/vmnet: open called by PID 3126 (vmnet-netifup)
[ 40.305186] /dev/vmnet: port on hub 8 successfully opened
[ 42.706252] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
[ 54.876540] vmnet8: no IPv6 routers present
[ 56.033915] vmnet1: no IPv6 routers present
[ 412.746503] EXT3-fs error (device sdc1): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 3424 not in group (block 0)!
[ 412.746540] EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted!