Sign in with
Your question
Solved

VelociRaptor Dropping Off?

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2009 3:08:11 PM

I have 2 HDDs: WD is my C (OS and software only): 160Gb 10K. Storage is Hitachi 1T 7200 - Pagefile is on Hitachi. The problem began with Hitachi, but has moved on to WD: Sometimes when I open defrag, WD is not on the list. When I reboot, PC does a CHKDSK. It has never found any problem. Seems I have read that it is not necessary to have power plug and SATA both... Please clarify before I pull a plug!

Question: What is causing my HDD to drop-off like this? I posted this once on another thread, but didn't think it would get noticed, so I'm posting here. New to the home-built PC (but loving it)

PS: I know the person who helped me with the assembly has Marvell in the PC. I think it's for RAID? Even my writer shows up as being on some raid scheme. Maybe this has something to do with it - Or maybe tu much info!

More about : velociraptor dropping

a b G Storage
October 12, 2009 9:28:14 AM

Do try running the hard disk without the power plug. IIRC, it's extraneous and not needed for your case.

You should look into checking if your power supply is working properly, and that it isn't causing unstable surging within your system.
a b G Storage
October 12, 2009 10:00:39 AM

r_manic said:
Do try running the hard disk without the power plug. IIRC, it's extraneous and not needed for your case.

You should look into checking if your power supply is working properly, and that it isn't causing unstable surging within your system.

You absolutely need the power connector for any SATA hard disk.

As for the reason the hard drive is dropping off, do you know which controller it is on? Sometimes, motherboards will have a secondary drive controller that is a lot flakier than the main one.
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 12, 2009 10:20:39 AM

It certainly sounds like a driver issue and not a hardware/connection issue since it's happening to both drives.
In any case both drives should be connected ICH9R (assuming you're using P6T Dlx. in your sig) with the last Intel driver. There's absolutely no reason to connect to the addon controller.
a b G Storage
October 12, 2009 11:31:48 AM

hmmmm? no power for a hdd? wtf you on about r_manic?

Intel ICHx sata controllers are 100x more reliable then the onboard third party controllers - try switching ports (aslong as you have the correct Intel drivers installed you can do that without a reinstall)
a b G Storage
October 12, 2009 2:32:56 PM

How often is it dropping? is the machine left powered all the time?

There is a known firmware bug in VelciRaptor drives (update available from WD) where the drive reports a ghost error after 49 days of continuous running; some drive (and RAID) controllers will then drop the drive.
a c 126 G Storage
October 12, 2009 3:55:22 PM

Well using SATA you can draw SOME power just like you can draw power out of wireless transmissions ("wireless power"). But it won't be enough to spin-up HDDs and such; maybe for a small SSD it can be enough.
October 12, 2009 8:09:37 PM

Thanks for all the assistance, guys (and gals). As this is my FIRST home-built (my friend did most of the wiring). It is a P6T Deluxe and it appears both drives (C and X) are on SATA 3 or SATA4. It has a red cover and houses both connections to the mobo (bottom right corner if cpu is centeral left).

To clarify, in the beginning, the X drive would drop off. By 'drop off', I mean if I went into windows defrag, it would not be on the list. After reboot, CHKDSK is ran (never any problems) and restart as usual. Lately it has been my C drive (the WD).

I do leave the machine on for periods of time, but not for extended periods.

I will move both drives to the SATA connection below them (there are two dual channels in that corner of the mobo). We'll see what that does. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for all your expertise. I'm a newbee, but a quick study... This one has been kicking me though.
October 14, 2009 5:48:53 PM

Being that the drives are plugged into SATA 1 and 2 (I had to verify again), and because I have had the problem with both drives, I have opt'd out of moving connections to a different location on the mobo for now...

Quick update: Dropped off again today. I dug through my Lian Li Armor Suit (convenient for installs, but not very spacious afterwards). I have a 750W power supply with a number of large, coarse 'tentacles' (I call it a squid) with a variety of molex and SATA plugs. One in particular has 4 in line SATA plugs (probably just for HDDs). The 4 in one SATA power cord was on both HDDs...

I pulled the plug, so to speak, on both drives. On the power cord with 4 SATAs - I plugged one drive to the first SATA on it. I found another SATA plug on a separate tentacle in the pile at the bottom of the tower. I plugged it to the second drive.

I'm waiting for the results of this.

Thanks for the help, again. I'll keep everyone updated as I go along. If it happens again, I'll move the connections to the SATA ports below their current location. Maybe next I'll change the SATA cable between the drives and mobo. Next option may involve some sort of pyrotechnics :D 
October 14, 2009 5:50:58 PM

wuzy said:
It certainly sounds like a driver issue and not a hardware/connection issue since it's happening to both drives.
In any case both drives should be connected ICH9R (assuming you're using P6T Dlx. in your sig) with the last Intel driver. There's absolutely no reason to connect to the addon controller.

What is ICH9R? Is it a labeled location on the mobo? What I see when I read is SATA 1 and 2.

Sorry about taking so long... My work hours are insane.
a c 126 G Storage
October 14, 2009 9:03:34 PM

Your motherboard has a chipset, which is Intel X58 + ICH9R.

A chipset usually contains of two chips, thats why its called a chipset. The first is called the northbridge which does I/O communication between high-performance components of your system. While the second is the southbridge which handles the slower parts of the system (PCI cards and SATA/PATA/sound/floppy/USB whatever).

Its the southbridge which handles the SATA and thus the RAID. The southbridge is called ICH9R. The R means it supports RAID, ICH9 is the same chip but doesn't support RAID.
October 14, 2009 10:06:42 PM

sub mesa said:
Your motherboard has a chipset, which is Intel X58 + ICH9R.

A chipset usually contains of two chips, thats why its called a chipset. The first is called the northbridge which does I/O communication between high-performance components of your system. While the second is the southbridge which handles the slower parts of the system (PCI cards and SATA/PATA/sound/floppy/USB whatever).

Its the southbridge which handles the SATA and thus the RAID. The southbridge is called ICH9R. The R means it supports RAID, ICH9 is the same chip but doesn't support RAID.

Gottcha! If I didn't clarify in the beginning, Im a newbee (but spending a LOT of time learning). I am familiar with the terms North and South Bridge. If what we were talking about is a chipset, then I'm okay. The friend who helped me with the build is a computer science major and has been building machines for years. He gave me a good start, but wants me to 'explore' and come to him later with questions. I found this place and discovered that there are a lot of helpful people out there. I digress...

The HDDs: Today, I changed their socket locations on the mobo (no good), I unplugged the power supply cable which was supporting both, and put both HDDs on their own supply (no good). Since my friend helped with parts selections (money was not a huge problem), I believe we put a good investment in mobo and power supply, because the rest is replaceable/upgradeable. For this, I doubt it is power supply related. I run JDownloader from a file host server I have a subscription to. I may run other processes at the same time. I think I may be overloading the disk (though virtual memory is on the Hitachi, which is where the downloads go also). Could I be overloading the drive(s)? I have considered a third disk for only virtual memory, temp files, etc. Download to storage and leave OS and Apps on C. Do you think this would help, or am I on a tangent?
October 15, 2009 7:51:40 PM

wuzy said:

THANKS WUZY & SUB-MESA!! When Wuzy got me to question, and after Sub Mesa defined ICH9R for me, I did some research. Seems WD has had this problem in the past with the raptors as well. There is a thread on Tom's Hardware concerning their issues. They (Tom's Hardware) used the Raptor's on PCs due to their unmatched (at the time) speed. They were having problems with the drives during benchmarking new components. I have also learned that I need SATA cable capable of 300 MB/Sec to prevent issues. My friend has told me today the SATA cable I'm using is run-o-the-mill stuff.

1. I'm downloading all ASUS updates to their mobo. My friend is going to help me with install as some updates are BIOS (he doesn't want me to fubar it).
2. I'm getting some high quality SATA cable for both drives.

Thanks to you and Sub Mesa for getting my wheels turning... I think I'm onto something now...
!