Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz, Socket LGA775, 6MB, 1333Mhz CPU
Corsair Dominator TWIN2X8500C5D (Got 4 of these, 4gb total) RAM
MSI GeForce 9800GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I/HDCP/HDMI GFX
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM HARDRIVE
Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 226CW Black Glossy,1680x1050,2ms,VGA/DVI,3000:1 LCD
Win 32bit SP3 OS

Problem:

Poor Age of Conan perfomance\FPS.. :D
Yeah basically the problem, also I have a concern after a 3dMark benchmark test.. back to that later.

So AOC.. I firmly believe this type of system should run that game on the highest settings like no concern in the world.
This is not the case, I run it on medium settings with 30-50 fps. 20fps at the lowest in crowded areas. I notice also huge "glitches" ingame, screen can and will just sometimes freeze for some milliseconds.. Come to think of it the game actually struggles at low settings. :(

Clearly something is wrong but I cannot figure out what it is.

I have not tweaked any of the hardware settings in BIOS or via other applications in Windows..
all settings are on default.

Anyway, I mentioned a 3dMark test. End result was 15xxx points something, can't recall exactly atm, at work. :D

But I saw something that made me concerned, you probably know about the "CPU test" in that benchmark app.. Here, on two different CPU tests I only got 1-2fps. WTF?? Should it be that low?? On the other pure "GPU\GFX tests" I had steady 80-100fps.

I'm pretty sure any decent computer should score higher on the CPU tests. And if so.. WTF is wrong with my CPU\computer? Why does it score so low?

AFAIK I can tell every hardware component has it's new vendor driver..

any help and input? :??:

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Concerning your 3DMark score, yes. It is normall to have 1-2 fps on the CPU test even when the CPU is as beefed up as yours so don't worry.
About AOC, I'm not sure what to suggest. It seems as if there is a driver related problem with your card. Try checking the forums of the game to see if other players have similar issues. Maybe you need to use the latest available drivers, or if that fails, maybe try some of the older ones.
Also, do you have problems with any other games? Your 3dmark score is highly respectable, so maybe your problem has to do with AOC only.
Hope this helps

raulduke

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
aha, so it's normal with low fps on CPU tests in 3DMark, thank you for clearing that up for me. Was getting worried when I did my test. :)

I will try to run some other hardware eating games, like Crysis etc.

Should that run clean on high and all then it is most likely an AOC vs 9800GX2 problem.

Cheers.