Cant find 3 of the speakers!

Hansen

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
^what he said

In the taskbar there is a speaker right click it and choose playback devices then click on the speakers then configure at the bottom and make sure it's set to 5.1

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

If in Vista

under Control Pannel, select Hardware and Sound. Select Manage Audio Devices. Once there click on Speakers(this is default you can have it named anything) then click configure at the bottom of that window. You should have it set to 5.1 and there is a speaker test there.

XP
Control Pannel
Sound, Speech and Audio Devices
Sound and Audio Devices
Then select Advanced and select 5.1 in the drop down list.

There is also a control panel from Realtek that is easy to use, but since i do not have it on hand i can not instruct on it.

Hansen

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008

Done that without any result. Could it be that my soundcard doesnt support 5.1 speaker system?

camaross427

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
try reinstalling the drivers i had audio problems wiht realtek and onboard sound

just buy a sound card they will give you better sound especilally with a 5.1 system and they are relativley cheap.

Sorry, i did not see it was a laptop. When saw Azalia, i said ohh right do this.

Your laptop looks to only have 2 plugs. Headphone and Mic. Is this right?

You need 3 for 5.1

Green - 1 is right and left
Black - 2 is rear right and left
Orange - 3 is center and sub

In your case the only way to get surround sound out of the laptop would be with a set of digital speakers. Asus lists the laptop as having SPDIF(digital) it does not even say it it is optical or coaxial. Does the headphone jack glow red when you start plugging in headphones? that would indicate optical.

Without digital speakers your other option is a USB sound card(making sure it has 5.1), they are not that good for games, but should be ok for music and DVD's