Sign in with
Your question

LG HD DVD Drive will not detect discs - intermittent

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2009 5:52:57 PM

Hi everyone,

I bought a new MESH computer a couple of months ago and I am having similar problems with my LG HD Blu-Ray Drive. It's a HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L ATA Blu Ray/HD DVD.

The drive will only intermittently detect CD or DVDs. The symptoms are quite similar to those of Mickalous. When I start my machine, if there's a DVD in the drive, my pc will not start (presumably because the BIOS is asking the DVD drive to see if the disc in the drive is a Windows Boot drive - which it cannot tell). I have to take the DVD out of the drive for Windows Vista to start.

My specs are:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Intel Core i7 920
8 GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD4890
SAMSUNG HD103ST Hard Drive
ASUS P6T SE Motherboard

This problem is driving me mad - I would say that the drive only detects a disc one time in three or four. The rest of the time, the drive whirrs and clicks and does nothing. I can see the drive in Windows Explorer, but it won't read the CD/DVD. I've often had a secuROM message appear with a 'no disc inserted' error asking me to prepare and send a report to them. I've had a check of the Windows Vista Forums and ran a Mr Fixit (removing upper and lower filters in the registry) for this problem which worked (eventually) for the disc in the drive but after starting up a couple of days later, I'm back to where I started. No disc detected.

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks!
October 11, 2009 2:20:06 PM

Take it back to where you bought it and they should repair if still under warranty.
!