Samsung HD502HJ - Any way to force 1.5 Gbps?

rhindle

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I have a brand new Samsung HD502HJ that I need to use with a Via 8237 SATA controller that will only support 1.5 Gbps.

The drive seems to work great and is very fast in two different 3 Gbps compatible systems, but I can't get it detected with the system I bought it for.

I've followed the "Compulsory SATA 1.5 Gbps setting" instructions at http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=126. However, the "sspeed" utility generates only an error: "Error : INTRQ Not Asserted Error". This utility does appear to work fine for other Samsung drives in my 3 Gbps system (HD501LJ, HD502HI). I also tried the old jumper setting trick, but that didn't work either.

Samsung customer support is unsurprisingly not helpful. They seem to be saying that if it works at 3 Gbps, that is the end of their responsibility. This, of course, contradicts the pack-in instructions.

Does anyone know how to configure this drive for 1.5 Gbps compatibility?

rhindle

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
My second round with support was more helpful:
Dear customer.
Sorry for my late reply.
You can find utility(ES-Tool) from our hompage.
( www.samsunghdd.com → support → utilities → ES-Tool → SET MAX UDMA MODE)
You will can change SATA 150(1.5) ↔ 300(3.0).
※ Please always BACK-UP your preclous data.
Thank you.
I had already tried ES-Tool, but did not see such an option, so I assumed it was the wrong tool for the job. Knowing the option should be there allowed me to focus on getting it to work, and the problem was simple enough.

For ES-Tool to offer the SATA speed change, the SATA controller needs to be in AHCI mode. Both of my 3 Gbps controllers had been in my BIOSs' default Native IDE mode. With that little change made, the program worked exactly as described, and I was subsequently able to install the drive in the system with the Via 8237 controller.

Samsung should really update their support site with instructions for using ES-Tool to do the job. This would save customers like me the time and frustration of dealing with support. Until they do, I hope this thread helps put other customers on the right track.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Samsung improving... Maybe they might, yes.

- - - BUT - - -

The host from VIA is supposed to accept Sata300 disks even though the host is limited to Sata150, and shall do it without any change at the disks, as any Sata150 host shall.

I was just wondering if VIA had eventually succeeded in producing some working hardware, and the answer seems to be NO from what you tell. This would need two design errors from them cancelling another, but they have so many mistake opportunities that the probability of a cancellation is tiny.

G

Sorry for my bad english im learning :)

You can set the drive to a 1.5Gb/s mode with a jumper to make the drive compatible with motherboards that only can handle that version av sata

you have the information how to put the jumper in the pdf manual for the harddrive at the samsung webbsite

www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?group=72&type=61&subtype=63&model_cd=469&ppmi=1155#

if no luck finding it i can try to explain it

at the side where you have all the connections like sata power, sata data, you have 2 rows with 4 pins, you put a thing, i dont no the english name for it but you may get the picture from the example below

like this --> : : [:] :

then you have the drive in 1.5Gb/s mode

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
ES-Tool 3.00 did not require my ECS Nvidia chipset motherboards to be configured for AHCI mode to do that, and I used Native IDE mode.