DK P35-T2RS Q6600 crash course in overclocking

LB_Specter

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Can someone tell me what settings in the bios I should change for a NON voltage increase overclock. I'm monitoring my temps and I am stable at stock 2.4ghz at 22C.

My goal is anything over 3.0 on air which is.. from what I hear completely reachable.

I need a refresher because I wasn't able to overclock my AMD chip :( and I had that for almost 2years.

My bios is 6.00PG according to cpu-Z

thanks specter

Mondoman

Splendid
I don't think you'll be able to achieve much of an OC without boosting the CPU voltage at least a bit. Note that leaving the voltage setting on "auto" normally WILL boost the voltage with increased FSB. To get a true no-voltage-boost, you need to manually set the CPU voltage to its VID value. Check out the Overclocking forum's stickies for lots of good info on this.

^He posted a SS of his on auto and its a low voltage of 1.18v meaning he should be able to OC it to 3GHz on air without a voltage increase.

For yours just set the voltage to say 1.25v, the FSB to 333MHz and leave everything else. I would suggest setting the memory voltage and timings manually and give your memory a 1:1 ratio with the FSB.

Then go into Windows and load up Prime95 let it run for about 8 hours while monitoring temps. If it passes with no wrrors you can either leave it (if the temps are good for you) or you can try lowering the CPU voltage down one notch and rerun Prime95 for 8 hours.

As long as Prime95 can go for about 8 hours no errors you are normally safe.