Sign in with
Your question

SATA HD, worked briefly, now reports (hard) disk is write protected?

Last response: in Storage
October 10, 2009 7:51:46 PM

WinXP sp.3
Drive: Hitachi: HDT7210SLA3 (1TB)
Controller: Promise SATA300 TX2+

I have just recently installed a Hitachi 1TB hard drive and chose to format it using exFat. All seemed to work fine initially but after a couple of days I can no longer write to the drive. Itt reports the message:

The disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

However, reads from the drive work normally.

Has anybody experiened this issue?

Tim
a b G Storage
October 12, 2009 4:54:21 AM

Did your drive come with drive management software? Have you installed any programs that allow you to lock the drive or something similar? Being able to read from a drive that's write-protected is normal behavior btw.
October 12, 2009 7:16:52 AM

ExFAT switches volumes to read-only on the fly if it detects corruption. This is presumably indicating that MS' exFAT driver doesn't believe your format tool is quite correct.

Related resources
October 12, 2009 12:09:24 PM

Thanks all, for the responses. I am not knowingly running any software that could have locked the drive in such a manner. Indeed there are times when I would have liked to have a utility to protect a hard drive by offering whole-disk locking.

[/QUOTE] ExFAT switches volumes to read-only on the fly if it detects corruption. [/quote]

Oh! Well that's probably it then. As the drive's first useage I was carrying-out a large file transfer process of some 500MB during which the PC hung mid-way. I could not gain keyboard or mouse access to revive it so it was hard reset. I can see ther logic in locking the drive under crash scenarios but what is one supposed to do following such a lock Does Microsoft offer an exFat suite of tools?

Tim
November 6, 2009 1:14:04 PM

I just built a new pc and I have two data drives where are 1 TB WD hard drives. Each time I boot up it is a crapshoot if the drives will work or not. They are recoginized by windows just fine but someones the first drive is listed as write protected, sometimes just the 2nd one, sometimes both, and sometimes both are fine. I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit so I didn't know if that had anything to do with it. The main op sys drive (Which is a WD raptor drive) always works fine however.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 18, 2011 3:04:52 AM

No answers? I have the exact same problem with the same model ~ only mine is an external ~ through USB. I am using vista ~ but I think it may have started getting temperamental when I plugged it into my old xp machine
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2011 2:18:06 PM

foxy_roxy said:
ExFAT switches volumes to read-only on the fly if it detects corruption. This is presumably indicating that MS' exFAT driver doesn't believe your format tool is quite correct.

But how do you fix it then?
a c 371 G Storage
June 27, 2011 2:58:35 PM

Have you run a chkdsk x: /f where x is your drive letter? That may fix it.
!