Nothing will open..web browser, task manager, programs...etc

toyeboy

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Hey I've recently noticed if I leave my computer sitting a while, I'll come back to open Google Chrome internet browser, and nothing happens, it doesn't open. Then i try and figure it out by attempting to open the task manager...it won't open either. I try several programs, none of which will open, as if the computer just ignores my request to open them. What could be causing this and what can i do... I have to restart the computer every time this happens, and it is getting very annoying.

Larry365

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I have this exact same problem but with windows 7. I have no choice but to reset the computer. I am liking the hibernation suggestion and shall look into that now, however I do believe it is already disabled. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wabbajack

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I have a similar issue with my Outlook 07 (no other apps) on my Windows 7 box. I just Ctrl+Shift+Esc and have to stop one of the many services for Outlook running (the biggest memory allocated does the trick) , and then it opens. I am not sure why this happens, or how to fix it and have not looked into it either.

I love hibernate mode....although Windows 7 boots up so fast it is not as important as it was in XP.

toyeboy

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Well i turned on a screen saver and it seems to not happen as often b/c maybe it keeps the harddrive awake? but it still does happen and it must be an issue with an update, I never had this problem until i updated everything recently in XP.