Want to learn Palm basics

October 3, 2004 1:31:13 AM

I'm new to Palm with my Treo 600. I've been looking on the 'net for a
basic, but thorough, beginner's guide.

It seems I'm so late coming to the party that most sites seem to deal more
with current issues, reviews of equipment, and so on.

But I want to know all about the operating system I'm using.

I'm a Mac to DOS to Windows (and Win CE, too) vet, but the Palm OS is
different enough that I'm confused. For example, I don't see any "drives"
listed, as it were, directories, and so on.

So I'd very much appreciate any links to basic Palm OS characteristics and
use.

And also, I can't find much on the "Palm Desktop" software that I use on my
Windows XP computer, again, at the basic level.

Somebody please give me a couple of good links.

More about : learn palm basics

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 3:16:30 AM

"Charles Novins" <taxslave@free-market.net> wrote in message
> I'm new to Palm with my Treo 600. I've been looking on the 'net for a
> basic, but thorough, beginner's guide.
>
> It seems I'm so late coming to the party that most sites seem to deal more
> with current issues, reviews of equipment, and so on.
>
> But I want to know all about the operating system I'm using.
>
> I'm a Mac to DOS to Windows (and Win CE, too) vet, but the Palm OS is
> different enough that I'm confused. For example, I don't see any "drives"
> listed, as it were, directories, and so on.
>
> So I'd very much appreciate any links to basic Palm OS characteristics and
> use.
>
> And also, I can't find much on the "Palm Desktop" software that I use on
my
> Windows XP computer, again, at the basic level.
>
> Somebody please give me a couple of good links.

Although a bit out of date, Palm for Dummies shows the basic operation for
the OS. Also, a link to links (primarily for Tungsten E) that would be a
good springboard for further research:
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/thedoctor/palmcomp.html .
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 8:18:53 AM

Charles Novins wrote:

> I'm new to Palm with my Treo 600. I've been looking on the 'net for a
> basic, but thorough, beginner's guide.
>
> It seems I'm so late coming to the party that most sites seem to deal more
> with current issues, reviews of equipment, and so on.
>
> But I want to know all about the operating system I'm using.
>
> I'm a Mac to DOS to Windows (and Win CE, too) vet, but the Palm OS is
> different enough that I'm confused. For example, I don't see any "drives"
> listed, as it were, directories, and so on.
>
> So I'd very much appreciate any links to basic Palm OS characteristics and
> use.
>
> And also, I can't find much on the "Palm Desktop" software that I use on
> my Windows XP computer, again, at the basic level.
>
> Somebody please give me a couple of good links.

Why don't you use the Palm manual? It explains everything starting from the
basics. It is also available as a PDF on the Web.

The Palm tutorial is another excellent guide. Unfortunately, I neglected to
read guides at the start and I later discovered they would have saved me
plenty of time.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

"Roy Schestowitz" <roy-at-schestowitz-dot-com@use-address-before-at.com>
wrote in message news:cjnr31$sn5$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
> Why don't you use the Palm manual? It explains everything starting from
the
> basics. It is also available as a PDF on the Web.

Right, I've been working with it, but it is average as manuals go. I also
have a pet peeve that says any mass consumer product that requires much
reference to a manual is ipso-facto defective. The Palm has been less
"defective" in my definition than most, but it still qualifies. I've spent
several hours now using the manual, so I'm not amused. I'm very annoyed,
for example, by (1) no "back" button, (2) no "delete" button, (3) no
straightforward card access, as if it were a drive, and many more.

> The Palm tutorial is another excellent guide. Unfortunately, I neglected
> read guides at the start and I later discovered they would have saved me
> plenty of time.

Right, by all means. Me too. That's why I want to understand more about
how the OS works.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 9:57:57 AM

"Charles Novins" <taxslave@free-market.net> wrote in

> So I'd very much appreciate any links to basic Palm OS characteristics
> and use.

http://www.palmsource.com/developers/

Should give you all the info needed for developing on the PalmOS incl
various specifications.

Stine
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 10:45:26 AM

"Charles Novins" <taxslave@free-market.net> wrote in message
SNIP

> Right, I've been working with it, but it is average as manuals go. I also
> have a pet peeve that says any mass consumer product that requires much
> reference to a manual is ipso-facto defective. The Palm has been less
> "defective" in my definition than most, but it still qualifies. I've
> spent
> several hours now using the manual, so I'm not amused. I'm very annoyed,
> for example, by (1) no "back" button, (2) no "delete" button, (3) no
> straightforward card access, as if it were a drive, and many more.

SNIP

Probably one of the reasons you are having so much trouble is that you're
trying to treat the Palm like a computer. It's not a computer, at least not
in the classic sense. It's a PDA and unlike Pocket PC devices it's really
not trying to be a mini-Windows machine. Hence, no need for a back or delete
button. Card support was added much later to Palm OS and again, it wasn't
meant to be a general purpose storage device although it does have that
capability.

The closest thing to a "back" button is the little house icon in the
Grafitti area. The delete function is a little more difficult to get to and
depends on what it is you want to delete. If it's applications on the PDA
that you want to delete then you get there from the menu in the "home" view.
If you want to delete an item in the calendar or contacts application you
get there by selecting the item and tapping on the Details button at the
bottom of the screen or by tapping the menu icon and choosing Delete Event.
If you want direct card access then you need another application like FileZ
which is Freeware.

A Palm OS device will do lots of things and does border on a general purpose
computer but as I said it wasn't really designed with that in mind, it just
sort of evolved. If you need a more of a small hand-held computer device I'd
suggest you consider one of the Windows CE Smart phones which will give you
more of a PC experience. Or wait for the next generation Palm OS, code named
Cobalt. It's supposed to be more of a general purpose OS and may give you
what you want.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:00:25 AM

Charles Novins wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <roy-at-schestowitz-dot-com@use-address-before-at.com>
> wrote in message news:cjnr31$sn5$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>> Why don't you use the Palm manual? It explains everything starting from
> the
>> basics. It is also available as a PDF on the Web.
>
> Right, I've been working with it, but it is average as manuals go. I also
> have a pet peeve that says any mass consumer product that requires much
> reference to a manual is ipso-facto defective. The Palm has been less
> "defective" in my definition than most, but it still qualifies. I've
> spent
> several hours now using the manual, so I'm not amused. I'm very annoyed,
> for example, by (1) no "back" button, (2) no "delete" button, (3) no
> straightforward card access, as if it were a drive, and many more.

The problem is that authors of such guides are partly programmers. They
simply do not know the perspective of a new user and they probably have no
relevant qualifications or training.

I have always believed that trial-and-error is an excellent way of learning
computers. It must be hands-on experience. That's how I learned Norton
Commander when I was 11 and Windows 3.1 when I was 12. Do not read! Books
are for computer geezers and they lack all the known advantages of IT. This
message is included in that definition because nobody here can show you
real-life use of a PDA.

Experience is key. Palm tutorials are essential, though there is not enough
of them. An annoying thing which you must learn to cope with is that you
continuously find that you made mistakes in the past. One example of many
is that I did not time-tag tasks.

I suggest you find a friend with a Palm handheld and some considerable
experience. Ask him/her to show you how he/she organised himself/herself
(essentially a tour). 10 minutes can save you hours or even days. Trust me.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

"Charles Novins" <taxslave@free-market.net> wrote in message
> I'm new to Palm with my Treo 600. I've been looking on the 'net for a
> basic, but thorough, beginner's guide.
>
> It seems I'm so late coming to the party that most sites seem to deal more
> with current issues, reviews of equipment, and so on.
>
> But I want to know all about the operating system I'm using.
>
> I'm a Mac to DOS to Windows (and Win CE, too) vet, but the Palm OS is
> different enough that I'm confused. For example, I don't see any "drives"
> listed, as it were, directories, and so on.
>
> So I'd very much appreciate any links to basic Palm OS characteristics and
> use.
>
> And also, I can't find much on the "Palm Desktop" software that I use on
my
> Windows XP computer, again, at the basic level.
>
> Somebody please give me a couple of good links.

There's just really not that much to it. You probably already know 90% of
what you need to know for basic operations. The little tricks and tips are
what you are missing.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 8:43:47 PM

"Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message

> "Charles Novins" <taxslave@free-market.net> wrote in message
> > I'm new to Palm with my Treo 600. I've been looking on the 'net for a
> > basic, but thorough, beginner's guide.
> >
> > It seems I'm so late coming to the party that most sites seem to deal
more
> > with current issues, reviews of equipment, and so on.
> >
> > But I want to know all about the operating system I'm using.
> >
> > I'm a Mac to DOS to Windows (and Win CE, too) vet, but the Palm OS is
> > different enough that I'm confused. For example, I don't see any
"drives"
> > listed, as it were, directories, and so on.
> >
> > So I'd very much appreciate any links to basic Palm OS characteristics
and
> > use.
> >
> > And also, I can't find much on the "Palm Desktop" software that I use on
> my
> > Windows XP computer, again, at the basic level.
> >
> > Somebody please give me a couple of good links.
> >

> There's just really not that much to it. You probably already know 90% of
> what you need to know for basic operations. The little tricks and tips are
> what you are missing.

People are reluctant to touch anything resembling a computer at first. If it
breaks during the course of running built-in applications (unlikely), it
should be taken back. I've found that I've gotten in the most trouble by
deleting files when I thought I knew what I was doing (early days), and
installing third-party software without a backup plan. XPs System Restore is
good for the PC, and the Backup Buddies or Right Backups, etc. for Palm are
great parachutes for bad tinkering or installation problems.
!